XVI.

"Thank you for joining me on such short notice." 

Matthews is fussing with his sleeves, trying to replicate the same folds Collins had fixed for him earlier. Hermione and Collins were both busy with Ministry work, so Matthews, being the punctual and productive person he is, had all work finished and was the only non-pureblood friend available I had to invite. He smiles at me, one I know had to be forced a bit. 

"No problem. Collins said it would be a good idea to actually meet people outside of work..." he says. I turn away to stop myself from giggling. Matthews wasn't the most social person, or the most polite, so him doing this for me was appreciated. After seeing him struggle for a few moments more, I give in and grab onto his sleeve, folding it up evenly. He huffs in response.

"You know, it's not a formal event. I don't think anyone will notice or care if your sleeves aren't even," I tease and he rolls his eyes. 

"Let's just get on with it," he places his arm around mine, "Apparate us?" I nod and concentrate on the meeting place. In less than a second, we are in front of the cafe that fronts as the meeting place. Matthews's eyebrows furrow. 

"Why didn't you just apparate us inside?" he complains as if walking through a door is an inconvenience. 

"The meeting room is protected from apparition like Hogwarts was," I explain, pulling open the door and letting him inside. He hums in understanding and looks around the quaint cafe with curiosity. There are only a couple of people waiting in the main room, like usual. It looks as quiet and calm as a normal cafe would, any passerby would be unbeknownst that a whole meeting was happening downstairs. 

"You came." Noah's arms are around me before I even fully turn around and I feel the happiness and relief radiating off him. I hug him back before Matthews coughs. 

"And I brought Matthews," I add, blushing, "You've met a few times at the Ministry, I'm sure. He was interested in the meeting." The last line sounds as much like a lie as it was and Noah nods slowly. He sticks out his hand and Matthews takes it, shaking it. Matthews gives me a quick sideways look and I know he's fulfilling his role, to act as a buffer between me and Noah. 

"You're a Muggleborn?" Noah asks.

"No, Half-blood," Matthews answers hesitantly. Noah just smiles and turns back to me.

"So, ready to go downstairs?" he asks, guiding us to the wand drawer. He removes his wand and places it with the pile of wands, and I do the same. Noah gives Matthews an expectant look but Matthews clings to his wand.

"I don't like this," he says quietly to me, not quietly enough though because Noah quickly answers.

"It's for the comfort of our muggle family. Don't worry, your wand will be safe here." 

I give Matthews a pleading look, I didn't want there to be any drama with them but thankfully Matthews sighs and puts his wand beside mine. Noah closes the drawer and gestures us to the staircase. I notice that he's quieter than usual, despite his warm welcome, and I wonder how he feels about yesterday. Awkard? Hurt? Maybe after the meeting, I could talk to him and we could clear the air. 

Tonight, there are more people. Groups, what look like families, are close to each other and their children remain obediently quiet beside them. Noah leads us right to Mrs. Loughty and her son, David. 

"Oh, Dear! It's so good to see you again," Mrs. Loughty says, giving me a tight hug, "And you brought a friend." She pulls Matthews in for a hug, too, as if they were old friends, and he awkwardly settles in against her.

"Hello...," he says. I see something loosen within Matthews, as if he had been anxious about the meeting but now that he had been welcomed he feels more comfortable.