Chapter Nine: Remy's Story Part II

Remy hadn't been totally honest with Dewberry. The story he had told her was true, sure, but there was more to it...

After Remy arrived in America, eager for new cooking opportunities, he was instead met with a cruel anti-rat country. He lived in fear of rat traps and exterminators...scurrying from restaurant to restaurant only to discover none were willing to employ a creature they deemed as a "health hazard." Finally, Remy's search led him to Maryland where he was staying with a family of rat relatives. Second cousins, he believed.

One night, while standing at the pier, smoking a rat-sized cigarette and looking over the water to his home country, his second-cousin approached him. She stood silently for a moment before broaching the subject.

"Look Remy, ben dodah, I'm worried about you...you're so stressed about this cooking thing. Daniel knows someone in Baltimore--a psychiatrist--who would be willing to see you. We all think it would be a lot of help...with everything." She handed him a card before disappearing back into the night where she came from.

Remy sighed and glanced down at the card for a 'Dr. Hannibal Lecter'. It wouldn't hurt, would it?

That was how Remy found himself a week later sitting in an oversized armchair in an overly formal psychiatrist's office in Baltimore. It was doing that appointment that Remy came to a realization: he no longer was just interested in cooking...he wanted revenge. Bloody revenge. And Remy saw before him in the older European psychiatrist the perfect vessel to carry out this revenge.

And so, Remy perched himself upon on the graying head that night while Lecter was sleeping and spent the next decade carrying out his design. A design that involved cooking and eating people. Finally the rat...the hunted....would become the hunter. He no longer feared a rat trap at every turn for in his gruesome new reality, Remy was the rat trap.

Our little rat friend has been on the run from this killing spree (for his design had fallen apart when his vessel became involved with an FBI profiler who fly fished and Remy had jumped ship knowing that it was only a matter of time before they were caught), looking for a new vessel when he had happened upon the naive Dewberry Melon, crying alone in the kitchen of world-famous British boyband, One Direction's kitchen. And then that had all gone south when Dewberry had failed him...but Remy never let a victim slip through his fingers especially not a British one. He had called a favor with a mouse he had met years before, one Stuart Little, and now he found himself staring down a hospital hallway towards Dewberry Melon, One Direction, and BTS with a chef's knife clutched in his rat hand.