Chapter 2

Once in the sanctity of her own car, my mom produced her vape pen--to my horror, it was the bedazzled one, which only served to bring up the dark memories of my past--and began to fill the car with clouds of fruity smelling smoke. Without a single word to me, she started the car and pulled out of the school parking lot. I figured we would go home, but instead of turning down our street, she took the turn for the highway.

"Mom?" I coughed, waving away clouds of smoke, "Where are you taking me? What's happening?"

She didn't answer and instead sped the car up as we flew down the highway. I turned sadly towards my window and watched the trees fly by. We would have to spend the rest of the trip in silence because, several months earlier, someone had stolen our car radio. We drive for about two hours before we finally got off the highway at the exit with a large sign for the largest airport in my state. I felt myself begin to sweat; surely she wasn't sending me somewhere? Part of me thought it was crazy but the other part of me—the larger part— wouldn't put it past her: two months ago, my mom had nearly taken up an offer to sell me to world famous boy band Big Time Rush. I held my breath as we wound our way closer and closer to the airport, there was no longer any doubt in my mind as to where we were headed now.

I pushed my golden, sun kissed, naturally and wavy locks out of my face and turned my viewing spheres—which are normally aquamarine but had turned a deep purple to match the steering hatred I felt—towards my mother.

"How could you!?" I gasped as we pulled up in front of the airport, "I don't want to go big time, mom!! I'm your daughter!!"

My mom ripped another sick vape and ignored me. I coughed and waved the smoke out of my face, my optical orbs letting out streams of liquid (not from sadness, I was hardened from years of living with my mother and hadn't cried since I was two and my dad died in a plane accident). I turned back to the airport as men in black suits came pouring out the front. They pulled me from the car and into the airport where I knew my new owners would surely be waiting for me. I watched my mother the whole time, but she didn't even cast a glance in my direction, instead she continued to do vape tricks in our old car.

I was led into an empty room in the airport; the kind of room where you'd hold an international criminal that got caught trying to go through security. I was disgusted and horrified, but still not surprised. I pulled my hair up into a messy bun with the scrunchy I also had handy and glanced down at my clothes. I hadn't even had the chance to pack other stuff, these were the only clothing items I had left in my possession: a pair of light wash ripped forever 21 jeans (so high waisted they went up to the sternal end of my clavicle), a Billie Eilish t-shirt (I'm not like other girls), and a maroon pullover from Garage. I sighed and took a sip from my hydroflask, I guess it was better than nothing.

Just then, the door opened and five men stepped into the room. I gasped: it was not Big Time Rush at all.

It was One Direction!