Chapter 30

Reubinon Beach.
Reubinon Palace, Pellarmus.

When Heidi arrived at my door a few days later holding a bow and carrying a quiver of arrows, I assumed someone in Reubinon Palace must have lost their mind.

Heidi didn't wait to be invited into the room, she just shoved past me. I stood there in my doorway for a second longer, wondering if I was still dreaming. When I turned to face her, she'd already taken up a place at the foot of my bed.

"Who the hell gave you a weapon?" I asked, incredulous.

"Let me remind you that I am a weapon, Benson. Now stop gawking and get dressed. We're done sitting around. Let's go train."

I started to protest but then decided that she was right. I was done waiting.

I nodded to my half-eaten breakfast tray. "Whatever's left is yours."

I'd been midway through eating the oatmeal, jam, and toast when Heidi had knocked and I wasn't interested in the rest of it. Since coming off of tacit, my appetite had been nearly nonexistent. Most days, I ate very little. Nausea was a constant companion and I didn't like to have too much on my stomach.

"You sure?"

"Take what you want," I told her.

She nodded, already reaching for the abandoned bowl.

I changed in my bathing room and when I returned, Heidi had eaten what remained of the toast. She eyed me, her mouth a thin line. "Cohen talked Darragh into letting us into the armory before he left. Or well, Cohen talked Darragh into letting him into the armory. But I talked Cohen into getting me this—" She lifted the bow up. "He said it was fine just so long as I didn't shoot anyone with it."

I grabbed a pair of boots from the small wardrobe and starting lacing them, keeping my attention partially on Heidi as I asked, "And what did you say to that?"

Her face split into a wide, wicked grin. "Naturally, I didn't make any promises."

"I figured as much."

"Don't pout. I'll be careful. And you aren't really at the top of my list of people I'd like to shoot."

"Do I want to know who is at the top of the list?"

She smirked. "Not you. That's all that matters."

"Lovely."

She fiddled with the strap of her quiver and said, "I didn't bring you anything. Didn't really think you'd want a weapon."

"I don't."

"Cohen's got a gun down on the beach though. And some targets. I think Nadia's been learning to shoot."

I knew he'd been training with Leighton. I'd watched the two of them set up the stuff a few mornings ago. I'd wanted to walk down there and see if I could practice too, but I hadn't wanted to ruin the little friendship they'd developed. It seemed like Cohen really needed a friend and Leighton was being that to him.

I finished with my shoes and glanced over at Heidi. "Will Cohen mind if we join him?"

Again, she lifted her bow. "Well, since he was the one to give me this, I'm going to go ahead and say no—he doesn't mind."

"Is Nadia coming?"

She shook her head. "No. She's gone with Isla to visit some orphanage in town. There's an illness spreading there and you know how Nadia is. She's always got to play nursemaid."