𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

IT HADN'T TAKEN JONATHAN long to learn that he did, in fact, like Connor Rhodes quite a bit. The day after having been admitted ( and getting a CT-scan, only to realize his stomach ache was caused by gas ), he found himself hoping for the surgeon to drop by his treatment room while he waited to be discharged. Just as he hoped, the surgeon did stop by, a smile on Connor's face as he noticed Jonathan was still in one of the hospital's treatment rooms.

"Choi didn't release you last night? I'll have a word with him, if it wasn't for a good reason you stayed, of course," the surgeon chuckled, adjusting the watch on his wrist. "Eila's out working?"

"She's out working, yeah. My wife will be here to pick me up later — I'm being discharged today, so he hasn't exactly kept me long." Jonathan grinned, motioning for Connor to sit. "However, I was actually hoping to catch you; and that without Eila present."

Worriedly, Connor furrowed his brows as he sat down, blue eyes kept on Jonathan as he patiently waited for the older man to continue. From the corner of his eye, he could notice Will standing outside the room, a smile playing on the doctor's lips as he whispered something to Natalie. He had, of course, put two and two together, coming to realize that Jonathan was Eila's father.

"The reason is, I want to talk to you about Eila — it's nothing serious, but I do appreciate the worried look on your face, doctor Rhodes—,"

"Please; call me Connor."

Jonathan looked thoughtful for a moment, before nodding. "Alright, Connor," he chuckled, shifting his position a little, leaving the surgeon hanging before continuing. "Truth is, my daughter has been talking quite a bit about you, both when she's been home to visit, and when she's been speaking to us over phone. I was a bit surprised when she told us she wanted to invite another person for dinner at Christmas Eve, but when she told me it was you — well, things made a lot more sense, then. In many ways, you could say it solved the puzzle for both me and my wife."

              "I'm not sure I understand—,"

               "She's in love with you, Connor," Jonathan chuckled, a rather goofy smile slipping onto his face as he watched Connor's reaction. "I know it's not my thing to say, but she really does. I can't speak for you, or about your feelings, but based on the feelings I believe my daughter has for you, I can only hope you share her feelings."

                Connor was about to speak up, when Ethan Choi entered the room with Jonathan's chart. "Oh, doctor Rhodes — I wasn't aware you would be here," the doctor cleared his throat, gaze dancing between the surgeon and the patient. "Uh, would you mind if I got five minutes alone with the patient?"

Just as Connor was about to speak up, his pager went off. Saved by the bell, he thought to himself, ducking out of the treatment room.

"Connor, you got the page too, huh?"

He narrowed his eyes as he turned, eyes landing directly on Ava Bekker. Truth was, Connor and Ava had not gotten off to the best start, as she had arrived at Gaffney Chicago Medical Center. However, he was determinded to make their relationship as professional as possible; though he was aware working with her a whole day would, in fact, be tiresome.

After what felt like days, but really was hours later, Connor found himself in the locker room, head hanging low as he tried to regain some energy. He was well aware of it being Christmas karaoke night at Molly's, and though Connor had hoped he could sneak off with Eila, he knew the two of them would become center of attention. He sighed deeply as he got up, shrugging on his black leather jacket, as Eila entered the room, followed by Maggie.