𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

THOUGH CONNOR WOKE alone that following morning, he woke with a happy, light feeling. Truth was, kissing was great. Everyone knew that, and Connor wasn't trying to make a fool of himself as he once again replayed the memory of the night before in his mind; her hands in his hair, his arms holding her body close to his, palms touching the warm skin of her torso underneath the fabric of her shirt. The feelings he had been left with after kissing Eila were fascinating; she was a woman he had been wanting to kiss for so long, and now he found himself treasuring the way her lips felt against his, the way he had been able to caress her cheek with in a new way of being gentle, and the way he had been able to hold her close — closer than he had held anyone before.

As he got out of bed, he noticed the screen of his phone lighting up, a message from Eila. She had headed to her parents' place, informing the cardiothoracic surgeon the offer to join them for dinner still stood — if he was interested.

Maybe we can repeat yesterday, Connor thought quietly to himself, the smile still playing on his lips. He was sure Will would have a meltdown if the redhead had been present; the two of them had found themselves discussing the possibilities of Connor finding a love after Robin, and though Eila's name had been mentioned ( after all, the feelings of love and adoration Connor was sitting with now, came from a stupid and boyish crush he had been hiding from his beautiful neighbour ).

Truth was, Connor felt like he could open himself like a book to Eila; a book where she could read between the lines, where his words would make a permanent impression on her, and though he could never be certain how his stories of childhood tragedy would affect anyone, he could only hope she handled it with a brave smile.

It was, however, in that moment — as he stood beside his bed, a ridiculous smile on his face as he kept his gaze on a ( now black ) phone screen — he realized he had no present for Eila. Of course, the presents wouldn't be opened until the following morning, but he felt the need to give her something. Desperately, he pressed the digits of Natalie's number, settling on her being a better choice for a Christmas present-tip than Will would be.

"Hey Connor, what's up—,"

"Nat, I need help. I need a Christmas present for Eila, and I'm late, and I have no idea what to get her." Connor spoke in a rushed tone, running his hand through his hair. "You talked to her for a while, at a few occasions; you don't have any ideas to what I could get her, do you?"

                 "Look, Connor, I admire your sudden outburst of wanting to get her a present, but you are quite late. How about giving her something straight from the heart? A confession of your feelings, a make-out session?" Natalie suggested, and Connor could hear the smirk in her tone as she spoke. "Don't worry; okay? I'm sure she'll be happy, no matter what you fix when it comes to a present."

               The surgeon sighed, chewing on the inside of his cheek. "You're not going to ask me about yesterday?"

                "I thought I'd let you bring it up first."

               Connor rolled his eyes, throwing one look at the clock on his bed-side table. "I've got to go, Nat. Say hi to Will from me, and I'll talk to you later." He could hear her voice trying to stop him from hanging up, though he went through with it, quickly tapping the red button. "Well, that was helpful." He sighed, reaching for a shirt to put on. Eila had given him the address and the time to meet for the Christmas dinner at her parents' house, and the surgeon knew he still had a few hours.