𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

NOTHING COULD BE compared to the cozy atmosphere in Eila Chapman's apartment. Truth be told, it was like every Christmas movie you could think of, plus a little more. The apartment next door, however, was the opposite. Connor Rhodes didn't own a single Christmas decoration ( that was if you excluded the snowman he had been gifted from Eila, of course ), and he could tell she was disappointed when he stood at her door without even wearing a Christmas-themed sweater.

               "You're not making this job easy for me, you know that, right?" Eila rolled her eyes, stepping to the side as she let him inside. "And dear lord — you reek of a hospital-smell."

               "Thank you, it's not like it has to do with my job," Connor grimaced, his eyes darting around the livingroom of Eila's apartment. "May I ask — why does it look like Santa Claus threw up in here? It's only the first of December today, and it literally looks like a meet-and-greet Santa area from a mall."

                "That's what I'm trying to teach you," Eila chuckled, the paper bag falling off the chair by her dining room as she pulled out a rather stylish, black Christmas sweater, handing it to Connor. "Somehow, I was well aware that you would not be wearing a sweater. In fact, I doubt you even own one."

               However, Connor didn't grab a hold of the sweater. Instead, he shoved his hands deep into the pockets of his coat, shooting her a pleading look. Sighing, Eila put it back the bag, shaking her head. "Okay, okay — I was a bit too optimistic. I'll have you wearing it sooner or later, though, just you wait."

               "I don't doubt it for a second," Connor chuckled softly, swaying back and forth as he patiently waited for Eila's next words. "Now, what do we do?"

               She smiled as she realized how clueless he was ( of course, Connor was aware of what to do around Christmas — or, he was aware of the way his family did things around the holidays, that was, which always turned out to be the opposite of what normal people did ). "Are you really this clueless, or are you playing me?"

               "To be honest? What I did at Christmas time during my childhood—," he paused, letting out a sigh as he lowered his head a little. "Quite frankly, I don't think those traditions could compare to or even be called a proper Christmas tradition. But hey, I guess that's life when you grow up in a rich family." He forced a smile onto his face as he once again lifted his head, blue eyes meeting hers.

               "Is that an attempt to guilt trip me into going easy on you? Because you know I won't," Eila shrugged casually, hearing a chuckle escape Connor. "I thought we could start easily, however — we'll head down to the ice-rink, go for a skate, and drink some hot chocolate."

               "Tell me, how is hot chocolate a Christmas tradition?"

               Eila rolled her eyes, shrugging on her coat, hiding her cheesy Christmas sweater as she zipped the coat closed. "Come with me, Grinch, and I'll show you," she chuckled, picking up her keys from the countertop of her kitchen island, before the two of them headed out of the apartment. This year, like any year before, Eila's apartment was the only one in their hallway with any form of Christmas decorations. Without Connor noticing, she shot a glance towards his door, not being able to help the feeling of her heart sinking as she realized the snowman was not outside of his apartment.

At first, Connor led them in the direction of his car, though Eila gently grabbed a hold of his arm, tugging him with her. "No cars. The rink is literally a five minute walk from our building."

This day, like any other winter day in Chicago, was filled with people on the streets, plowing through the little snow there was in sneakers, the ankles of their jeans wet from melted snow. Connor huffed as he pulled his coat tighter around his body, noticing how Eila seemed unbothered by the chilly temperature. "You're not," he paused, furrowing his brows. "You're not cold?"

"You are?" She rolled her eyes. "Supposed to be Chicago, born and raised, aren't you? It's not a role you're living up to in a good way."

"Oh yeah? How about you?" He stopped, in the middle of the sidewalk, a cheeky smile spreading on his lips. "You've got all this viking-esc shit going on here, with your throat bare and exposed to the cold, no beanie — you're not even wearing gloves, for God's sake. Where on Earth are you from?"

"Maple Grove, Minnesota," Eila grinned equally as cheeky back at him, keeping her eyes on him as he started walking again.

The two neighbours had been speaking on good terms, despite their seasonal differences, since Connor had returned to Chicago. She had helped him through the worst of Robin's breakdowns, and even offered to clean up his apartment while he more or less lived at the hospital to make sure she was okay. In many ways, Connor had thanked her, while he also felt like he had not been thanking her enough. When everything came to it, she had been there for him, a man she had known for a little under a year, an acquaintance more than anything else, while he had not been offering the same support and friendship in return.

Connor was convinced that if he went to Daniel Charles, he would get his thoughts confirmed; his subconcious had gotten him to accept the Christmas offer from Eila as a way of making things up to her.

"You look thoughtful," Eila commented, nudging his arm as they reache the rink, where people of all ages were gathered, laughing, smiling — just generally having a good time. The Christmas music was playing softly through speakers, accompanied by the faint sound of cars. "Something on your mind, Connor?"

The black-haired man shook his head, plastering a small smile on his face. "No, not really. I suppose I'm just wondering how different all of this would be if my family had been, well, normal."

"Hey, your family is normal in it's own way," Eila pointed out. "How fun would it be if all families were the same?" She tilted her head a little as she watched the puzzled look on his face, before his face broke out into a genuine smile. "Stay right here, don't move — I'm gonna get us some hot chocolates."

Connor nodded, leaning against the temporarily placed wooden fence by where he had been ordered to remain. Truth was, this was the furthest thing from what Connor thought of when he heard Christmas, though he enjoyed it. He enjoyed watching the children skating, the youngest clinging onto the hands of their parents for balance and support, couples holding hands as they elegantly moved in between the others.

"Like what you're seeing?" Eila chuckled, handing him a to-go cup filled with the hot beverage, before wrapping both her hands around her own cup. "I always come down here when I need to get my mind of things. Seeing everyone so happy, smiling and laughing, just having a good time."

"Is that often?"

"Well, during Christmas — yes," Eila let out a sigh, sipping on the beverage, though wincing as it burned against her lip. Connor, immediately stretched up, though quickly realized he couldn't actually help his friend with the burn on her lip. "Quick reflexes there, Doc."

"I guess that adds to a list of why I'm damaged goods." Connor rolled his eyes, swallowing a small mouthful of the warm beverage, making Eila chuckle.

"No, no — you're a good man, Connor. You want to help where you can, and the medical field is your thing. If someone winces in pain, you're alert and awake immediately. It's not making you damaged, it's actually helping being the best version of yourself," Eila offered quietly, making Connor smile a little. "Of course, you're a Grinch, but we'll be working on that."