𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

CONNORwhat the fuck is this voicemail aboutcarolling all about? you know i don'tlike singing all too well

CONNOR
what the fuck is this voicemail about
carolling all about? you know i don't
like singing all too well

CONNOR
come on — eila, just because i was in
surgery, it does not mean you have the
right to ignore me once i come back
out 😠

CONNOR
if you keep this up, i might have to
send will out for carolling with you
instead.

EILA
jesus christ, condork, i was in the
shower! the world did not end during
that little period of time i was away,
and a little carolling will not make the
world end

EILA
your arguments have been taken into
consideration, and quite frankly i find
them bad and irrelevant; you're not
getting out of this one

CONNOR
you, ma'am, are very lucky you're cute

EILA
aw, you find me cute? 🥺

EILA
on a more serious note, however,
feel free to bring will and natalie.
it would be lovely if they want to
come too!

CONNOR
i'll check with will

EILA
by the way, do you play any instruments?

CONNOR
...why

EILA
if you, or will for that sake, play the
guitar, we could be instrument-playing
carollers! people would absolutely love
it!

CONNOR
i might play the guitar, without it being
any relevant to this, whatsoever. though,
i will make sure will brings his guitar.
natalie plays the violin, is that interesting?

EILA
it's perfect!

CONNOR
ok ok, i'll check with them now. see
you later, eila 😊

               "You can't be serious; she wants to do Christmas carolling while playing instruments?" Will raised an eyebrow as he looked at Connor, the dark-haired surgeon simply nodding in response to his friend's question. "And, as if that wasn't enough, you want me and Natalie to tag along?"

Connor narrowed his eyes as he looked at Will. "Are you initiating that you'd want to let me do this, all by myself? There is no way I'll be on the streets singing —,"

"What are you two arguing about now?" Natalie rolled her eyes as she entered the room, her gaze flickering between her boyfriend and Connor. "Boys, no one will come out of this with a win if you don't tell me what's going on."

"Eila wants to to carolling tonight," Connor sighed, sinking down in one of the chairs of the small dressing room, saved for the hospital's attendings. "She wants me to come — obviously, but she also wants me to bring a guitar and play Christmas songs while we're out. Problem is; I don't know any seasonal songs, and well, that would be a good idea if I am to play them, right? So, I was talking to her and she suggested I could bring you and Will — and Will knows how to play the guitar too."

                In the corner of his eye, Connor noticed how Will was shooting his girlfriend a desperate look, shaking his head frantically as he hoped she would turn Connor down. However, the smile that spread on Natalie's lips told Connor everything he needed to know. "You know, Connor — Owen is spending the evening with his grandmother, and though we were planning on having a calm night in, what's better than to spend it spreading joy by carolling?"

               "Great!" Connor exclaimed happily, the grin spreading on his face. "We could just head to my apartment after shift, and we'll take it from there. Thank you so much for wanting to come — and I know it means a lot for Eila too."

               Natalie waved it off, smiling at Will, before she headed back out to the nurse's station. Connor turned, seeing Will's narrow eyes staring right back at him. "So, I guess we're going singing tonight, then," the red-headed doctor scowled, adjusting his white lab-coat. "Do you even own a guitar?"

               A panicked look slipped onto Connor's face; he had not given him telling Eila he played the guitar, without even owning a guitar, a thought. "Crap," he muttered underneath his breath, inhaling sharply. "You got any tips on where I can get an okay guitar at this hour of day?"

Hours ( and a brand new guitar ) later, Connor found himself standing outside of Eila's apartment, with Will and Natalie behind him. Though he stood with his back facing them, he was well aware of Will's disencouraged facial expression. Truth was, the doctor had his very own unique way of expressing himself when he was unhappy, and Connor had to stop himself from laughing as Eila opened the door, her expression letting him know she had seen the way Will attempted to plaster a stupid smile on his face.

"Hey guys," Eila chuckled, picking up her coat as she joined them in the hall. "Ready for carolling? I'm so happy you and Will could come too, Nat. Showing Con all the good sides of Christmas has been amazing so far, but nothing's quite like doing it with someone, you know."

"Of course," Natalie smiled, linking her arm with Will's as they four of them walked down the hallway. She continued, telling Eila all about how she felt about Christmas, and shortly after, they found themselves in the car, comparing traditions. Will and Connor, on the other hand, shared a single look that told them everything they needed to know, and more ( which coincidentally was; why on Earth did we agree to this? ).

Neighborhood after neighborhood was conquered, and at one point, the two male surgeons even found themselves requested to do a guitar-riff off in the middle of the street. However, it wasn't until they arrived in the neighborhood where his childhood home was, that Connor really started to feel uncomfortable — the same feeling he had been expecting to feel all evening. Eila noticed, and, after letting Will and Natalie get a little headstart, she grabbed a hold of his arm. "Connor, I'm not forcing you to do this, unless you want to," she spoke up, her voice laced with sincerity. Her eyes were locked on him the entire time, and it was odd; for the first time in very long, Connor felt safe with someone, he felt loved and cared for.

He responded by smiling, snaking an arm around her waist as he pulled her close. "Oh, I'm doing this. However, you're not getting off the hook this easily," Connor chuckled, a mischiveous spark in his eye as they started walking, her body still glued to his. "Let's just say, you owe me anything I want."

"Anything, huh?" Eila chuckled, shaking her head as she looked at him, seeing the smirk on his face. "Wipe the smirk off your face, Rhodes — I already know you've trapped me in a corner, so all I'm begging you of is to give me a head's up."

"Of course," Connor chuckled softly, giving her a tight squeeze, before letting her go. "You have my word."