Chapter 9: The Truth

There was a soft beeping in the distance. It was the only thing that kept him in touch with reality. His eyes still hadn't open yet, but he was trying. He tried to wiggle his fingers, but he felt that he was unable to move them. Once his mind was more in a conscious state, his eye lids flung open.

The first thing he saw was a tiled ceiling, illuminated in the dark room by a faint glow. Where was he? Although he felt weak, he lifted his head from the bed he was laying on. He saw a heart monitor to his side and realized that was the source of the beeping. Beside that was a night stand that held flowers in a vase and cards. He put the pieces together that he was laying in a hospital room. What happened?

His confusion was averted by a sound of a person speed-walking down the hallway just outside his closed door.

"We've got a code blue on floor three!"

The sound of footsteps grew louder, then faded as a group of people moved past his room.

He looked down and saw his right arm was wrapped up. It must've been hurt somehow. He looked at his other arm and saw a tubing inserted in the crook of his arm that hooked up to a bag. That bag was attached to something on wheels. It took almost all his energy to sit up. His muscles felt very weak, and every movement felt foreign. He was in no pain, but he felt dizzy and tired, like he was sitting up for the first time in a long while.

The sound of a motorcycle driving out the window to his left interested him. Something about it compelled him out of his bed. He tried standing up, but just about lost his balance at first. Once the room stopped spinning, he walked to the window. Using his fingers to peek through the blinds, he saw a motorcycle driving down the lamplit street. There was something about the revving motor that seemed oddly familiar, but he didn't know why.

As he walked more, he started to get the hang of it, though the tube in his arm prevented him from moving very far. He realized the room lights were off, so he decided to walk over to the nightstand, which held a lamp. In order to reach it, he brought the bag on wheels over with him. The lamp made a clicking sound as he pulled on the string.

With the room better illuminated, he saw more details. A painting of a ruby on the wall above caught his attention. His gaze dropped back to his nightstand, to the cards that piled around the lamp and flower vases. He moved his hand the cards and picked up a large one that had many different handwritings scrawled over it. One of the small notes on the card said, "Get better soon, bro!"

Who wrote that? Was it meant for him? He moved back over to the foot of the bed, and nearly tripped over the tubing that was connected to his arm. It kept getting in his way, so he peeled off the tape that surrounded the tubing and winced as he pulled it out.

Once he reached the foot of the bed he saw a small folder tucked on the bed frame. He picked it up and started reading. The top of the folder said "Duke Detain" and he went down to the section that was labeled as "notes."

"Patient sustained major injuries due to a car wreck. Transferred the patient to a trauma center. EMS wrapped his right arm that had a laceration from the deltoid to the bottom of the humerus."

He looked over at his right arm again and lightly touched it. It didn't hurt at all... was this report even about him? He looked under his bandaging and saw a clean scar that was closed up with stitches. It seemed to be healing effectively. He went back to the notes.

"Patient also suffered a deep laceration to his right shoulder."

He glanced over to that shoulder. It didn't hurt either, but it was under a square bandage. What he was reading didn't feel real to him. But all the notes added up to his condition.