Chapter 8

Avery's POV:

"Where are we going?" I whisper again as Brett pulls me out my own front door.

"Shhhhh!" He dramatically pulls his finger to his mouth telling me to shut up. Everyone is in the backyard, they won't even notice were leaving why do we have to be so quiet?

He pulls the door shut after me and let's out a breath. It's mid-afternoon, the sun is beating down in vicious rays, if I close my eyes it could almost feel like back home.

"That was close." he mumbles under his breath, the tight grey tee he has on shows his abs through the fabric and damn ,did he have a nice body, wait, no, what?

"What do you mean? Everyone is outside, it wasn't close at all." I shake off my stupid thoughts of Brett's abs and look at his face that had just been so concerned about literally nothing.

"I don't want your mom to catch us." he says as if that's so scary.

"What are you an eight year old boy? Grow a pair. Damn." I say sarcastically walking down my front steps and towards the sidewalk.

"Wow, you're a real charmer Avey. I actually care what you're mom thinks of me, I don't want her hating me." He smiles and pulls me down the street.

"If I didn't know any better I would say you're being a gentleman." I smile teasingly at him, I just needed to get outside, away from those people, I left my phone on my nightstand.

"It's a one day thing, so don't be expecting it again." Brett drags me out of my thoughts and smirks pulling me into some park that I guess is in the neighborhood.

"Where are you taking me?" I whine as I trudge along behind him, I'm not athletic, I can barely walk down my own stairs let alone walk 2 miles in a park.

"Do you trust me?" He turns back to face me, still hold my wrist. His smile glowing. The trees in early fall are beautiful, October is just around the corner and soon it will be ghosts and jack-o-lanterns, but for right now it's just warm colored leaves and beautiful sceneries.

I can't help but think back to last fall, it was really so perfect...

"A, babe come on." Ryan my now ex boyfriend said as he smiled at me as we walked down the street, not another Museum of Classic Rock trip.

"No Ry, we went last week." I giggle and feel the warmth beneath our hands, its a bit chilly today.

"I love you." he smiles a gorgeous perfect smile and pecks my cheek sending rushes of warmth and electricity through my body.

"That won't change my mind." I say holding my ground, I love him though, this boy is my world, I don't know what I'd be without him. He's how my world was built, he and I built an empire together, it's all or nothing, it's him and I, it's Ryan and Avery.

It was Ryan and Avery, now it's nothing. When I told him I had to move I thought we'd fight through this, two years apart and we're together again for collage. He brushed me off like I was nothing, saying we couldn't do this anymore, how I'm not worth it, and the day I left, I saw the most painful thing,--

"Hellooo?" He wave a hand infront of my face, "Avery are you still here?" He playfully slaps my cheeks to bring me back to reality.

"Ow, yeah douche-pants." I slap his arm and pull on a smile, I don't know how long I was inside my head but considering we're in the middle of the forest, and my legs feel like jelly, it's been awhile.

"Did you bring me here to murder me?" I say dryly, and he chuckles.

"Yeah, duh." he says sarcastically. He grabs my arm and spins me towards him as I crash into his chest. I stumble back a few steps only to have him pin up against a large tree trunk.