Chapter 25

Avery's POV:

Today was just as monotonous as yesterday, and the past week if I'm being honest. Classes are boring and all I've been hearing is rumors of how Brett's been screwing every girl in school and then dropping them like they're hot. It's seriously annoying. The only thing that makes all this torture okay was Jase and Violet of course.

"Vi!" I call out as I walk out of shop class spotting her on my way to the parking lot.

"Hey Ave..." she greets unenthusiastically and I drag her over to the side of the building.

"Okay. What's going on. Are you alright?" I question her concerned.

"Ave. I'm fine I just..." she avoided my eyes and I was getting worried.

"What? You're worrying me."

"I'm fine. I just don't think you will be. Um... so Brett tried to kiss me last night." She spilled and looked at me with sad eyes.

"He-he did what?" I asked biting back my anger and tears. "I um... have to go." I said as my legs began to pick up the speed. I was racing Home. No wait not to my house, to Brett's. He had to be home since he wasn't in shop class today.

As I walk up his driveway my fists just clench and I stomp right into his living room. His face is beyond surprised.

"Aver-?" I don't give him enough time to finish a my fist collides with his jaw and he stumbles back in pain.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I yell burning with anger as I try to ignore the stinging in my hand. "What's wrong with you?" I ask him quieter now but still furious with everything he's pulled in the past few weeks.

"What do you even mean." He says not even looking at me, just taking a magazine in his hand and focusing on some bikini model waxing a car.

"You tried to kiss Violet? Really!?" I yell seething.

"Oh that," he laughed. "Are you jealous it wasn't you?"

"Stop acting like you don't have a heart." I say my voice escalating and cracking at the same time.

"But I don't." He says flipping through the pages of the magazine.

"What happened to you?" I ask a sharp pain hits me trying not to reminisce on how he used to be.

It hits me like a bullet train right then and there looking at his cold eyes I finally realize it. The person I knew, Brett Dallas brownie boy, he's dead, he was a bad boy and a player but he'd never do this. He's officially gone and I don't know why I care so much, I spent the last few weeks hating this person he's become.

"Why you do hurts people Brett? you can't keep acting like they're not real, these girl have feeling and you break each one of their hearts..." I say holding back the tears forming in my eyes.

He senses the distress in my voice, I came here to tell him off and now I'm here almost crying to him, what's happened to me? He gets up and walks over to me.

He doesn't say anything for awhile just stands there in front of me.

"Please just stop, you're hurting people." I say barely louder than a whisper. I had to stand up for Gracie and all the other girls he's burned.

"Why do you care, you made it very clear that you hated me." he asks with hurt in his voice but not malice or anger, I looked up at him but his eyes wouldn't meet mine.

It took me until this moment to realize it but I finally get why I cared, "because I missed you, you ass hole." I mumble softly but chuckle.

"Goddamn it Avery." he says frustrated and I look up again, he sighs a deep breath and his eyes soften.

He smiles at me for the first time in awhile, maybe not a real smile but a small one. He takes a step closer and pulls me into a soothing embrace, his arms envelope me in his body heat and I can hear his heart beat through his chest, I relax in this warm hug and exhale all my worries as I wrap my arms around his waist.

"I missed you too." he whispered into my hair as he pulls me in closer.