45 | Diary

"I-I swear," the guard sobs, "th-they won't get away with this!"

"YEAH!" another cries, patting his comrade on the back, "Y-you too, your Majesty! Th-they won't get you as long as we're here!"

The two guards sob into each other's arms, kneeling in front of the four caskets. King Todoroki nods, which you didn't expect. Shoto stands beside his father, bowing to the two guards. He seems a little choked up, too.

He's been different since he woke up, and not in a bad way. More respectful. I guess he's been humbled by all that he missed. He also claims that he doesn't remember anything while being poisoned. 

You look around the room.

Everyone's bustling around and hugging each other, the anger and tension from before long forgotten. 

You wouldn't say forgotten, actually. Just set aside for later. 

The maids are all particularly emotional; sharing stories of Mayra and crying into each other's arms. You spot Neena in the mass and head over to her.

She's sobbing in a circle of girls, and they're all offering handkerchiefs and hugs.

You go to her, embracing her shaking body, not knowing what to say. She hugs you back.

"You kn-know," she sniffs, "she was so happy when we heard you were coming to the palace. She said she was tired of being the maid for a grumpy king."

"Well," you reply, "now she'll never have to be. I bet she's got all she could ever dream of now."

"Yeah. Sh-she's in a bet-better place."

People started noticing your makeup drawn slash. 

People started doing it too, mostly guards, but you were still slightly surprised when Takahashi got in on it.

A small knock on your bedroom door makes you look up from your book. You stand up and straighten your dress, hoping it's Shoto. Instead, Takahashi pokes his head inside.

"Princess? This might be a weird question to ask, but, um . . . "

"Yes?"

". . . could I borrow some makeup?"

And so, that's how Takahashi ended up in your room, fumbling with your makeup.

"This is too complicated," he complains, "how do you deal with this everyday?"

You laugh. "You should ask Neena. I'm not even sure how she does it."

You take the makeup from him and swipe your finger in the container. It leaves a streak of black, and you carefully put it on Takahashi's right eye.

Right at that moment, Shoto walks in, knocking politely, immediately taking in the sight before him. 

You have to admit; it does look suspicious. You're pressed against the guard's chest, hand to his face, on your tiptoes since he's much taller.

You snap back at the sight of your fiancé, which probably only made it looks worse.

Takahashi doesn't worry, though, instead he thanks you and leaves, taking a look in the mirror before he does.

He even waves at Shoto before closing the door behind him. You sigh.

Shoto bows, then looks up at you, disappointed. "I thought . . . I thought that plan was off?"

It takes you a moment, but then you realize he means the cheating scandal where you were caught with Takahashi. 

You laugh. "Oh, dear, of course it is."

He lets out an audible sigh of relief, and you smile. 

"Oh, you like me that much?" You joke.

He tilts his head in confusion. "We are getting married. Of course I like you."

You blush, and he steps forward and takes your hands in his. Your heart races.

"Hmm, well," you challenge, "I love you."

"And I love you."

You hold each other for a moment.

"You know," you say, looking at your feet, "I would never cheat on you, especially with Takahashi. He's like a brother to me."

"I trust you," Shoto says, and that's enough.

You put your hand on his chest, feeling how his heart beats in time with yours. Shoto wordlessly takes your cheek in his hand and leans down to kiss you. 

"Last time we kissed," you giggle, pulling away for a second, "I technically brought you back to life."

"I thank you for that," he whispers, staring at your lips.

"I think I can control my quirk better now, so . . . " You say, tracing a finger along his cheek then bringing your lips to his. 

Once Shoto left your room, and you were all flustered from the kissing and contact, Takahashi decided to knock once again.

"Princess." He nods, and you let him in. You notice a small book clutched in his hand. A small smile plays along his lips.

"Sorry I haven't told you until now, but," Takahashi starts holding out the book, "Hitoka's brother mentioned a diary when I spoke with him. A little searching and I found it, and I thought you'd like to read it."

You take the journal from his hands, flipping through the pages. It's well worn and dates way back.

"Have you read it?" You ask the guard, looking up from the book.

He shakes his head, a blush dusting his cheeks. "W-well, no. I felt it would be too private, and you should probably read it first."

"Hm," you say, "when I'm done, you'll read it. Maybe it'll help you get your memories back."

He smiles. "Thank you. Although I do find it a bit strange . . ."

"You're right," you say, placing the journal on your desk, "maybe we shouldn't read it. We owe her that at least."

"Whatever you say," he bows, "It's your call, your Highness."

He leaves, and once you hear the click of your door, you turn to your desk and grab the book.

You slip open the secret compartment you haven't used in what feels like ages, glancing at the papers you ripped from the books long ago. 

You set the diary with them.

You can't read it. Not yet.

You still have that picture of an innocent Hitoka in your mind. You're scared reading it would ruin what you miss.

Your greatest fear, though, is reading her thoughts. 

Did she secretly hate you? Loathe the palace and its staff? And what of Takahashi? 

Was it all fake?

You can't bear to know.