Secret Project

February, 2nt year

James POV

James, Peter, and Sirius sat in the common room trying to help each other with charms homework. They really needed Remus help, but that wasn't an option tonight. It was a full moon. James was trying to focus and help, but his mind kept drifting to the absent member of the group.

"I think i'm done for the night. I can't focus" James says, closing the book in front of him.

"Ya, I can't either. We should always take these nights off" Sirius says

James continued in a quiet voice

"You know, there has to be some way we can help him. I mean, none of us are healers, but maybe if we could...keep him...entertained?...these nights, it wouldn't be as bad the next morning."

"What, you want to keep a wolf company? Have fun!" sirius says jokingly. "They attack anyone that comes near."

"I know, but... maybe if he had something to keep him occupied, he wouldn't hurt himself."

Peter spoke next "Well, i read that werewolves don't hurt other animals, but any animal around would just run away"

That sounds like something to James. "An animal friend is a great idea, Pete! We just need an animal that's not scared of him"

"Well, the only things not scared of him are us, but we aren't animals, are we?" sirius says, shutting the idea down.

James was inclined to agree and admit defeat for another month. Until....

"Wait, didn't McGonogall turn into a cat a few classes ago? What was that?"

Sirius answered. "She's an Animagus. My great uncle or something is one."

"Yes! Can we do that?" james asked, getting excited

"It's really hard, and they only allow adults to register"

"We just don't register. And I'm sure we can figure it out! Is your uncle some master in transfiguration?"

"No, he's actually quite dull."

"But guys," peter pipes in "this uncle was still an educated adult, and I remembering McGonogal saying it could be dangerous"

"We can stay safe, can't we, Siri?" james asked, trying to get his most timid friend on board with this idea

"If we can find reliable instructions, and follow them perfectly, than we should be fine"

"So that's a yes from you?"

"Of Course! We should at least try!"

"Peter, what about you? You don't have to, but it would be great if you would join us"

"I guess..it would be cool to do together..." Peter answers

"All right! Tomorrow morning, to the library for books on Animaji!"

3 years later

Mid 5th year

James was with Sirius and Peter in their dorm room, taking the opportunity to work on their surprise for Remus, who was studying for his runes class in the library.

"Alright, Pete, your turn. This is your day!" Sirius called, encouraging his friend.

James could tell Peter has been a bit frustrated by his progress. He just didn't seem to have a talent and power that the other 2 boys had.

Without further ado, Peter closed his eyes in concentration.

The idea for animagus transformation is that that after completing certain steps, (including holding a mandrake leaf in under your tongue, making and taking a potion,saying an incantation everyday, waiting for a storm, and more) it is possible for you to transform, but it is up to you to have the willpower and fearlessness to fully transform into an animal.