Late Night Snacks

for @Ilovecows72 who asked for Jilly. hope you enjoy! 

September, 7th year

Lilly POV

Lilly Evans took a deep breath as she reached her hand to the doorknob to the transfiguration classroom where the first prefect meeting of the year will be held, at 8:00pm. The first meeting that she has to lead as head girl. Well, co-lead. With the head boy. James Potter.

Surprisingly, Lilly felt that she will work well with James this year. They meet for an introductory meeting with the prefects on the train, and James was wonderfully mature and professional the whole time, and assured Lilly that he was ready to take full responsibility of the head boy title.

Over the last few years, this has been a recurring theme of James'. He seems to be growing and maturing, and being less brash and crazy. Of course, he still throws pranks and generally causes schoolwide disruptions with his friends, the Marauders, they have dubbed themselves. But from what Lily and her friends could tell, they only prank in retaliation. Especially to certain blood-supremacist and overall truly rude and cruel people that must be occasionally overheard by the boys making a threat, slur, insult, or something else against muggle-borns, the boys themselves, and other undeserving victims of these angry teenager's attention. To sum it up, their ends have begun to justify their means.

Finally ready to face the crowd, Lilly opened the door. She was met with about 10 students in hogwarts robes, about half of the amount of prefects: 2 per house, from 5th, 6th, and 7th years. The rest still have 5 minutes, she thought, as she walked to the front, looking for James in the small crowd.

She found him,sitting on top of a desk, next to Remus Lupin, who was chosen as a Gryffendoor prefect in their 5th year. James saw her, and immediately started to meet her at the front of the room. They shared a small smile, and waited for the clock to reach 8.

The beginning of the meeting went smoothly, James handing out duty schedules, Lilly going over rules and expectations for both prefects and other students, and descriptions of roles and duties of prefects.

While James was giving examples of negative behaviors that they may see that deserve attention, from his first hand experience, Lilly looked at her notes for the next topic they needed to discuss. It was the time she had been dreading. It was time to talk about what was happening outside the walls of Hogwarts.

Lilly took deep breath and began

"So, along with everything we've been talking about, this year, we also need to make sure you all are aware of things happening outside the castle, with the rising tensions and violence.

I also want to stress the importance of not letting it affect our school and the learning of any students. If any of you or any of your students have questions or concerns, or needs someone to talk to about these matters, please send them to a professor or James and I"

"Like anyone would want to tell you about the war. What would you know about that, mudblood?"

This comment came from a Slytherlyn 6th year in the front row that lilly could tell was treating this whole meeting as a joke.

Before Lilly could reprimand him for such language, James immediately steps forward to shout in the boys face

"shut YOUR dirty, bloody mouth before you lose this job before you even start it!"

Happy that James was helping her, but wanting to put in her own word, Lilly also speaks

"Yes, please do. And if you could stand in the back and not say another word for the rest of the meeting?"

And with another look at an enraged and threatening James, he does so.

The rest of the meeting goes smoothly, and soon, the prefects are dismissed. Soon, its just Lily, clearing papers, and James and Remus, talking quietly. The boys say their goodbyes, and Lilly sees James coming up to her

"Well, besides that one hiccup, I think this went well. So, what should we do about that slytherin? Extra shifts? An unexpected prank?"

"James, it's fine. I think you yelling in his face was enough."

"As you say, Lily. Now, how about we go grab a snack in the kitchens? A little head student bonding?"

"Alright, James. Lead the way"

And so he did. They walked through the halls until they stood in front of the entrance, where James opened it by tickling the pear.

They were immediately greeted by the kind house elves that were ready to serve. James asked for 2 servings of milk and cookies, and led Lilly to the small counter to sit.

The time spent with James was.....Nice. They talked about what they wanted to do after graduation. James wants to be an Auror and Lilly wants to work in the ministry with Muggle relations. They begin talking about the more serious case of the rising war and how it's affecting them and their families. Lilly mentions that she considered not coming back this year, in fear that these 'death eaters' would retaliate against any muggle-born and their families. James is very sweet and understanding, saying that he's glad to have her here, as a co-worker and a friend.

Before they know it, they are each getting tired, and decide to head back to the dorms for the night. As they walk back to the common room, it feels natural to hold each other's hands as they make the journey.

As they neared gryffindor tower, Lilly asked one question that was burning in her mind

"James, as lovely as tonight has been, I feel that I'm getting mixed signals. Last year, you made it clear that you were done with your..insistent advances...but then you do little things like this, that feel so...intimate...and i don't know what you're thinking anymore."

After stopping and turning to face her, James answered

" well, to start, I still do have those feelings for you lilly, they've never gone away. What happened was I eventually realized that what I was doing was not working, and if I truly cared for you, I should leave you alone and do my best to be the man you want me to be. And if you never got together with me, then you would be happily single or with someone who you truly do like. I saw that I was being annoying and rude, and decided to give you the space you wanted."

"so, you truly care for me enough to see me happy with someone else? Even though you would like to be with me?"

"Of course, lilly. I now would never push something onto you that you don't want. No more chasing after and annoying you for dates."

Now that Lilly understands his change of pace, she decided to be the one to act.

"What if I ask you?" she asked

"What do meen?" James asked, confused

"James, would you be my date to hogsmeade next weekend?"

"Yes, of course!" he said, with excitement in his eyes.

He then took a breath and added on

"If you're sure you want to"

i think i've wanted to for a while now, but after tonight, i'm sure" Lilly answered.

Looking at his smiling lips, she couldn't help it. She reached up and gave a quick kiss

"Goodnight, James" she said, continuing towards the tower.

James did not follow. He was frozen in his spot.