The House of Black

Sirius' POV

Sirius Black woke up on his 11th birthday, november 3rd, 1970, with his younger brother Regulus shaking him awake.

"Siri. Siri!" The 9 year old called while pushing his brothers shoulders

"It's your 11th birthday! Your Hogwarts letter could come any minute now!" he continued

"Ok, ok, I'm up." Sirius said with a yawn. "What time is it?" was his followup question

"About 8:30. Mother and Father are already up, getting ready for the guests for your party, and the house elves have made breakfast."

"Alright, ill be down in a minute." Sirius said, getting up from the bed and ushering his little brother out of the room.

The door closed, and the now 11 year old turned to the dresser to find something to wear until his mother forced him into his best robes for the family party.

Of course there would be a celebration today. The next Heir of the family was turning 11, being officially accepted into Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, and starting the next phase of his development as a future head of the noble and most ancient house of Black.

Sirius has gone for as long as he can remember being told how to look, act, behave, speak, and do basically everything as a proper young, high-class, pureblood wizard should.

And he hated it.

Even as a baby, Sirius has always been energetic, inquisitive, playful, and as of late, even rebellious. His parents have made it clear that those traits are not approved of in his family. To his parents', Wilburga and Orion, disappointment, these traits only have gotten stronger as Sirius grew.

Now dressed, Sirius went down to the kitchen to have breakfast with Regulus, who was, no doubt, waiting at the table.

After eating, he figured he had about 4 hours before his mother started rushing her sons into their best clothes before the arrival of the guests.

Most of that time was spent with Regulus, who has always insisted on learning how to play wizard's chess, and practicing riding a flying broom in their small backyard.

And that's where they were around noon, when they heard their mother call for Sirius from inside.

"Your letter must've come!" Regules said, landing and running inside.

They found their mother, looking as stern as ever, in the sitting room.

"Sirius, your hogwarts letter for next year has come." she said, holding out a thick envelope.

Sirius took it as he heard his father came in as well.

As he opened it to start reading with Regulus looking over his shoulder, his father started to speak.

"You can make a fine Slytherin if you put your mind to it, Sirius."

At his name, Sirius looked up. It has never been a good idea to be inattentive to Orion Black.

"Your cousins and many Blacks before you have made top grades and were well respected. You can as well. It is at Hogwarts where you will uphold the Black name and show that this family and other pureblood families are destined for greatness. Am I right, Son?"

"Of course, Father" he replied

What else could he say? I'm sorry, but I dont think I'm like the rest of the family? I don't believe that only Blacks and purebloods are 'destined for greatness?' I've been having doubts that even want to be in Slytherin? Talk like that would get him a hard whopping or any number of hexes and a stay in the cellar. It's happened before. The worst was about 2 years ago when he was caught playing catch with the muggle boy he met outside, and said he seemed nice. he spent the night hurt and crying in the cold cellar. 

Well, that was years ago. today, he had other things he should worry about 

But naturally,  he wasnt 

A game of gobstones later, and the boys heard another call from their mother. This was to tell them guests would be coming within the hour, so put on your dress robes, and to warn them to be on their best behavior. (Of course she gave this warning looking directly at Sirius).

The first to arrive was his mother's brother, Alphard. As Sirius' parents supervised the house elves cooking and table setting, uncle Alphard pulled Sirius aside. He had a present for Sirius that apparently shouldnt be opened in front of the other adults. Alphrad tended to be the only family member to give Sirius decent gifts. Before he opened it, he could tell it was a book. He took off the wrapping to reveal a collection of small books filled with illustrations.

"The muggle kids call them comics. Very popular with young boys. Many are about muggles with various powers that battle evil. Thought you might enjoy them. Just keep them in your room, alright?" the uncle said, all with a smile

"Of course, uncle. Thank you!"

After Alphard came grandfather Arcturus, the current head of the Black family. He was greeted with a respectful bow from everyone. Next to arrive was Uncle Cygnus, his wife, Aunt Druella, and their oldest daughter, 1 year out of Hogwarts, Bellatrix. Her 2 sisters, Narssisa and Andromeda would be here as well, if they weren't in Hogwarts at the moment. Last was Sirius' other grandfather, Pollux. They all piled their gifts in the sitting room. 1 from Cygnus' family, 1 from each grandfather, another 1 from Alphard, and 2 from Sirius' parents, giving him a total of 7 presents. 

Before long, a house elf came to announce the table was set and food ready. The family then filed into the dining room. Orion, as the owner of the house, sat at the head, with his father and father-in-law on either side. Sirius was across from Regulus and in between Pollux and his mother.

At first everyone was busy eating, but conversation soon started. Before long, Arcturus asked Bellatrix what she had been doing for a year and 3 months after graduating Hogwarts.

She mentioned a man she had meet with a name that sounded weird to Sirius; Voldemort.  

"He has some good ideas about the mudblood and muggle issue." she was saying. "He wants to get rid of them all and start purifing the wizarding race"

 Unwisely, Sirius chose this moment to speak up.

"You mean he'd have them all killed?" he asked, hoping he was wrong.

"Of course, little Siri. Someone ought to do it." Bella answered

"Why do they have to be killed? What have they done to us?"

His father answered this time

"They taint good wizards' blood and names, and mean next to nothing to purebloods like us" he said.

"Well, they are still people! And nothing should mean they should die!" Sirius said before he could stop himself.

He then felt a sharp backhand slap from his mother on his right.

"Sirius Orion! Do not talk back to your elders! What your father says is true, and who are you to know better?!" she yelled.

Not wanting to be punished on his birthday, Sirius turned back to his plate.

He spent the rest of dinner thinking of 2 things: the muggle comics sitting on his bed, and that he was now certain he was willing to choose himself over this crazy family.

He'd start making his own decisions 11 months from now, on his first day at Hogwarts. Sirius Black was NOT going to be in Slytherin.