Traditions

Kim and Marinette had known each other since they were little. They constantly protected one another and made the other feel accepted. Being some of the only people in Paris with Asian ethnicity had its challenges, but Kim can remember the day he fell in love with the bakery girl like it was yesterday.

The two had been preparing for the cultural festival in their last year of middle school and decided to do a booth together. They were doing the booth idea based off of the Chinese New Year, when some kid decided to pick on Kim while Mari was away. In retaliation Kim was about to fight back, but someone beat him to it.

"Hey, who do you think you are to talk to someone like that? Much less the fact that you couldn't even be bothered to do it with another person around. You have no right to judge someone's heritage or booth idea because it's different. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"R-right s-sorry Marinette, s-sorry Kim. I'll be going now. Bye."

"Thanks Mare, but you didn't have to do that, I was about to say something."

"Heh, it's no trouble at all Kim. It's OUR booth, we should both defend it. Besides I'm glad to share my heritage with someone like you. You have been a great friend for years and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm just glad I came when I did. So what do you say, Chinese New Year is a go?"

"Chinese New Year is a go!"

"Perfect! Let's go partner, last one there won't get Red Bean Cake!"

"Oh you're on!"

From that day forward Kim would notice how Marinette's eyes would sparkle when excited and how the light reflected off of them. He would notice how too much attention or a compliment would make the girl flush. How the usually shy girl, would ooze confidence when standing up for what's right. How she would go out if her way to make someone feel better. Kim was hyper aware of the girl, and vowed to make her smile everyday. He loved the sparkle in her eyes and her blinding smile. But he also loved competition, and he knew he had some rivals for the girl's heart. But hey, you're on!