Nothing's Changed

CHAPTER 12: Nothing's changed

---

Uchiha Sasuke versus Akado Yoroi

Winner: Uchiha Sasuke

Abumi Zaku versus Aburame Shino

Winner: Aburame Shino

Tsurugi Misumi versus Kankuro

Winner: Kankuro

Yamanaka Ino versus Haruno Sakura

- MATCH ONGOING –

Emerald eyes blinked as it stared at equally mesmerizing ocean blue orbs. The pinkette could see from afar how Ino was nervous. "No hard feelings?" She spoke out softly once Hayate, the proctor, signaled for the match to start.

Ino furrowed her brows as she nodded, "You say that now after you blew the whole forest sky - high? But, yeah. No hard feelings." She said, "This actually takes me back. You know, back at the Academy sessions." She watched as the pinkette innocently tilted her head, "I... I'm going to show you that after all these years of running behind you, I deserve to walk beside you." She smiled.

Sakura was confused with what her best friend had said but her thoughts were cut off as Ino began to run towards her with a pair of kunai held in each hand.

"You better not hold back, Sakura!"

---

ACADEMY DAYS, Age 8

"Ne, forehead," Ino called out to the pinkette while they watched the class continue with the taijutsu spars, "I know I pretty much dragged you around until I became your friend, but why'd you stay?" she asked, her head turning to look at the pinkette.

Sakura tilted her head in thought, "Why do you ask? You're awfully quiet today, might I add."

The blonde thought back to the numerous things people have said behind her back. "Nothing, just curious." She smiled.

Sakura scrunched her nose with curiosity, "If it eases your nerves, I stayed because people give you less credit than what you're due."

Ino cocked a brow, "Speak in basic dialect, forehead. I don't really understand what that means." She teased.

Sakura sighed, ever the patient friend, as she explained once more, "You're...not stupid. Far from it really. You're kind of like Naruto – kun, you're more perceptive than what other people assume you to be." Emerald eyes turned to look at Ino directly, "I've noticed that people tend to brush you off and simply ignore your efforts...but I don't."

The blonde blinked in surprise as she watched the pinkette continue, "You deserve to be acknowledged for your efforts, not just because it's expected of you because you're a clan child or an heiress. I've seen you grind hard for your grades and for you to win your spars, I stayed because you need someone to appreciate you for what you are."

Ino shifted her gaze from her friend to the grass in front of her, "Do you, do you know what people say behind my back?" she asked.

"They say those behind your back? They say those upfront to me." Sakura mused, "I remember quite a few, to be honest. 'The Yamanaka heir that's all beauty and no brains', 'Unfit to befriend the upcoming prodigy', 'The girl who just uses me for attention', 'The polar opposite to the pink haired academy student', 'Mediocre child of the Yamanaka clan'," she listed out, "I've heard all of those already, but I don't really believe in any of them."