Akatsuki

CHAPTER 17: Akatsuki

---

With two months having gone by, the pinkette usually found herself bored hanging around the Mizukage and her Council despite their interesting discussions and theories. Having gone to Kirigakure before, she was more than comfortable in roaming around the village and conversing with the locals.

Conveniently, Mei pretty much gave the pinkette a free pass to most places in the Mizukage Tower so long as she had an escort with her. This included the usually restricted Archives and Library. Having grown up with books, Sakura spent most of her time in the Library and the Archives when she didn't feel like conversing with the Mizukage or when they weren't scheduled to discuss anything.

"I don't know about you, kid, but they seem like bad news," Kisame whistles as he leans over the pinkette's shoulders to look at the files on her desk, "I've been hearing about them for quite a while now. Even Zabuza's been jumpy about these guys, especially that red head." His rough hand extends to pick out a picture of a man with red hair and glazed caramel eyes.

Sakura raised a brow at the picture, "Him? Why? He looks... young?". In her mind, Sakura knew that age was never a play when it came to being a ninja. Haku, Zabuza's apprentice, Itachi, and even Shisui were a testament to how age should never be viewed as a disadvantage when it came to a fight. Strong people, despite their age, will always be strong.

The shark chuckled, "That's the point. He looks young but this guy's probably in his late 20's to early 30's. He's a fugitive from Sunagakure, a former ANBU at that, one of the last people to practice puppeteering, and he managed to kill the Third Kazekage."

"That's impressive and dangerous at the same time. How do you know so much about him?" she lightly turned from her seat to get a better look at her partner/bodyguard.

"Heh? I'm surprised that you didn't read every single mission report and article in this library the moment Mei-sama allowed you to enter this room two months ago." Kisame teased before he lifts another picture of a hunched figure covered with a black cloak. "Back when Akatsuki wasn't an official thing yet, they were looking for members. I don't know what went into their mind but Mister Red over here tried to recruit me. Of course, this was when Mei was still gathering allies to overthrow the previous Mizukage, so I was pretty much with her when it happened."

Emerald eyes blinked in curiosity, "What happened?"

"Obviously I'm here well and alive. But damn, that guy has some terrible poison on his hands. One of Mei-sama's bodyguards was nicked on the hand and he passed away not even twenty minutes later. When we tried to examine the body, there wasn't any trace of the poison anymore."

"Are you scared of him?"

Kisame snorted, "Scared, no. Wary? Fuck yes. I'm not in the mood to be that guy's new poison experiment nor his puppet. Dude is way obsessed with living forever, I'm pretty sure that he's done some body modification or something."

"A Poison Master, a Puppeteer, and a potential ninja with an extensive knowledge in Medicine," She muttered before she shrugged, "Or as extensive as knowing how the body works... This guy must be some genius." She muttered with a hint of awe in her tone.

The shark promptly whacked her in the back of her head, "Don't be amazed, dumbass. That guy's bad news, get it? Evil mister guy. Villain. Big no-no." He laughed as he watched the pinkette rub her head.

"I have the right to be amazed," she pouted.

"Why?"

Her emerald eyes seemed to sparkle with glee and excitement that it creeped Kisame, "I mean if he could do it, it means that I can, too! I could probably replicate his works, or at least be prepared to counter his poisons!" She smiled.