Chapter 1

The rat who entered the wrong den:

"Get the jewels from off the shelf over there!" A maid yelled over to another. Rushing to get the expensive decor attached correctly onto her waist. They saved just enough money to purchase this dress for their princess. All the maids working together to make sure she would be above every girl attending the ball tonight. It was her debutante, they had to make sure her first exposure to high society would leave an everlasting impression on all that were attending.

"Is that tight enough, your royal highness?"

"It's feels a little too loose for my comfort." Athanasia told her and the maid went back to tying her corset.

Admiring their hard work, Athanasia was pleased with the results. They prepared for this day for months, her showing of that beauty pageant smile in the mirror to woo everyone. This was her time to show everyone she was fully capable of the picture perfect Crown Princess that they should all love and adore.

Soon Obelia will fly over to her side and support her.

"Just a little more there....and here....oh and don't forget this...and..." She watched her nanny Lilian York style her hair with pearl beads. The dress she planned on wearing was black and dark purple ball gown. It was off shoulder, laced at where the sleeves began. The sleeves of the dress were puffed out too much for her comfort, but it would do. It hugged her waist where the area was decorated with strings of crystal diamonds, going down her dress to the hem. Some of the strings laced in her hair which was styled into a bun. She examined herself in the mirror. Her loyal maids surround her proud of themselves, some even crying seeing that she has grown up.

"Thank you all! You all really out did yourselves!" Athanasia gave them her best smile. They responded with thanks, happy their Princess is pleased.

"Princess, You must hurry! You don't want to be late, the carriage is outside ready!" Lily escorted her to the main entrance. Both ladies made their way out to meet her carriage driver who held open the door for Athanasia.

Once she was in she waited as she looked out the window and waved Lily goodbye. Tears streamed down Lily's cheeks as other maids comforted her.

Seriously Lily.

——————————————————

"Make way for her Royal Highness, Athanasia de Alger Obelia!" The announcer yelled from the top of the steps. Athanasia black heels mad contact with the red rug in-front of her. The entire ball room became silent, staring at the sole heir and Princess of the empire. Feeling their eyes all on her made her uneasy. Getting this much attention was odd unless it was from her servants.

Still she didn't let her discomfort surface at all and simply gave them all her best smile. She looked around, already who most of these people were. Using her free time to learn the houses of every noble and their name.

She descended down the staircase the ball started back. All conversations focussing around her.

"Do you see the Princess over there?"

"Should we go speak to her?"

"She doesn't look smart!"

The nobles gossip amongst themselves. Not hiding the fact they were talking about her.

Bah, do you nobles have no shame!

Athanasia still kept that innocent smile on her face and sunny disposition to not scare anyone away.

I need someone to dance with...

Bingo!

Athanasia thought in victory. She spotted just a few feet away from her Lord Zavier of house a Duke Household.