'Tis One Thing to be Tempted (Part Two)

Darmody Beach House

Leander moved carefully. The last weeks had taken their toll on him. Once more he damned Nucky Thompson to the depths of hell, damned former Sheriff Peter Lindsay for ever introducing Thompson to Louis back when Thompson was a child, and damned Louis for seeing Thompson as the replacement for the son he never thought he'd have.

"Miss Campbell, you have our gratitude for informing us where Nucky hid Clara. Please know we will make sure you are well compensated for your bravery."

"I'd also like a job," Katy said. "I can't stay at the Thompsons."

Jimmy smiled at her. "Neither Richard nor I are brave enough to hire someone for the house without Clara's okay. But I'm sure she'll like the idea."

"For now, though, we must ask you to return to the Thompsons," Leander continued, not having the mental wherewithal to consider the complicated domestic arrangements of the Darmody-Harrows.

After more reassurance Katy finally left, promising to let them know immediately if she learned anything else.

"Nucky committed her as Clara Thompson, spinster," Leander continued. "James, while perhaps this isn't the opportune moment to bring this up, this sort of behavior is exactly why I told you not to end the conspiracy against him. You were within inches of ridding us of the scourge of Thompson."

Jimmy ran his tongue along his bottom teeth. Fuck it all to hell. He had loved Nucky, he needed to fix what was broken, make amends. He looked at Richard, who stood at perfect attention, a soldier once more. Richard had told him Nucky wouldn't forgive him, and Jimmy had been prepared to endure the consequences of his action.

But Nuck had taken Clara's money and then done this? Leander was right, and that pissed Jimmy off even more.

"The good news is since Clara's married, Nucky doesn't have any standing to have her committed. Only Mr. Harrow has that sort of power over her, or if the court decides she's mentally deficient. At one o'clock there's a hearing in probate court.You'll need to prove the..." Leander took a deep breath. "Completeness of the marriage. You should be prepared for questions. I assume that will not be an issue?"

No one answered. "Gather up her correspondence, anything to prove Clara's soundness of mind. Other than you two, would anyone else testify on her behalf?"

Jimmy smiled at Leander. "Lady Rose Malley, daughter of the Earl of Danby. She's Clara's best friend, she's keeping Tommy in Cape May."

Of course the Thompson girl's friend was a member of the aristocracy, Leander thought with a half-smile. Jeffries would be proud of his odd little grandchild.

Richard looked down, barely hearing Leander and Jimmy's exchange. "He did this. He put her there because. She married me."

"Mr. Harrow, Nucky did this because he's been robbing his daughter blind for years," Leander said.

"He did this to punish Clara for choosing me," Jimmy said at the same time.

A very loud knock sounded at the door. Leander watched as the hands of both younger men went to their waistbands. He suddenly thought of Clara sitting in his drawing room, asking did anyone think Prohibition made the world safer.

It certainly hadn't made her world safer, Leander thought. James let in a young man in a suit so flashy and of such dubious taste, although of obviously high quality, that Leander reflected it would make Nucky jealous.

"Any word?" the man asked as he walked in.

Once more, James and Harrow shared an intense glance. "Nucky took her," Harrow finally said.