Fossils and Ambitions Part Three: February 1921

February 15, 1921: Jimmy's Car

Jimmy could tell that Richard wanted to tell him something from the moment Jimmy got in the car, but he also knew that it would take Richard a bit to get the words out.

Jimmy was patient with Richard in a way he was patient in no other area of his life.

"Clara. Mmm. The police. Pulled a gun. On her. When they. Arrested Nucky. They. Scared her." Richard had to pause before finishing. "She was. Upset. About. Mmm. Her father. They arrested him. In front. Of her."

Fuck, Jimmy thought as he slammed his hand on the dash.  He should have checked on Clara first thing this morning. He had tried to think of some way to get her away from the Ritz night before last, but it would have been evident what he was doing, so he had to leave her there.

"No one. Was there. To protect her. No one. Is looking out. For her."

Jimmy exhales sharply. "I'd never let anything happen to her. I've loved her..." He starts to say much longer than you have. "I've loved her my whole life. Whatever happens to Nucky, I'll always take care of Clara."

Both men are silent.

Something occurs to Jimmy. "Richard, how do you know? Did you see her yesterday?"

"Mmm."

Richard stares straight ahead, but his mouth is twisting terribly and keeps having to swallow. As always, he is genuinely awful at hiding things, and Jimmy pounces immediately.

"Richard, did she go to you after Nucky was arrested?"

Richard's hands start kneading the steering wheel. He finally gets out the words to tell Jimmy about Clara, showing up at his room in the middle of the night.

"Something happened between the two of you?" Jimmy coaxes him.

"Mmm. I would never. Take liberties."

Not laughing requires sheer willpower on Jimmy's part. "Richard, I think Clara would prefer you take a few liberties."

Richard doesn't answer. Jimmy knows he can needle the details out of Clara. Part of him thinks: yes, Clara and Richard could suit his plans well. He had told Angela that Richard and Clara would never work, but he'd wrong. Clara, who was good at hiding things, was incapable of hiding her feelings for Richard. At this point, Nucky might be the only person in Atlantic City who hadn't wondered what the hell was going on between Richard and Clara.  Those feelings might be the tipping point to pull Clara over to their side. Along with wanting her support, he knows that Clara is skilled at things that Angela and Gillian aren't. She can charm at civic improvement meetings, throw parties to win the support of government officials, and help him keep the city functioning. She won't like it, but he thinks she'll do it.

The other part of him is simply happy for them and happy for himself. He liked the foursome they were in New York. He liked the idea of a closed circle. He had long feared losing Clara to a husband who would pull her away from this life, and he didn't want to deal with Richard getting involved with a girl who didn't understand the life.

"Richard, I think it's great" Jimmy laid his hand on his friend's arm and squeezed. "But you know if you hurt her, I'll be forced to kill you. Painfully."

Richard nods. "I would. Expect you. To."