Family-August 1921

Elkton, Maryland

There was no dawdling the next morning. Tommy was staring at them from the doorway before the sun was up, confused about where he was and asking for breakfast. Consulting the train station timetable, they realized they could catch the second train north if they hurried. Convincing Tommy to cooperate wasn't easy, but between the two of them they had him dressed and everyone packed quickly. They only had to stop at the courthouse to pick up their marriage certificate.

"Get as many copies as they'll let you. I'd like five, but three at least," Clara asked when they arrived at the courthouse, since she planned to stay outside with Tommy, who was complaining about his lack of breakfast.

He nodded but had no idea why she wanted so many. Clara bit her lip.

"Sometimes official paperwork disappears. I feel like that's why Mr. Whitlock told us to come here, at least in part. Atlantic City's influence is much weaker in Maryland. But I'd still feel better if we had extras, just in case."

He came back with four and watched Clara divide them between their suitcase and her handbag. They caught their train and took Tommy to the dining car. A plate of waffles made Tommy happy, while he and Clara were content with coffee.

"I don't know how you drink it like that," Clara commented.

"Mmm. Through a straw?"

She smiled at him. "Very funny. I meant black."

"Mmm. I don't know how. You drink dessert for breakfast. You've had more. Milk then Tommy." Clara slipped her hand under the table and laced her fingers into his. He cleared his throat before he continued. "Are you. Worried about telling your father?"

It took her a moment to answer. "I worry about so much that sometimes it's hard to know what I should really worry about and what I'm being ridiculous over. Right now, especially, it feels like all my worries are twisted into a tangled ball of yarn and I can't quite separate them into distinct strands. But he can't do anything. We're both over twenty-one, we're married, it's in Maryland's roll book, we have copies of the certificate, we...made it official." Clara cleared her throat. "Twice. He won't like it, but what can he do? Besides, he has his own troubles to worry about."

Richard tightened his grip on her hand. He didn't know what Nucky would do, could do. But Leander Whitlock was concerned enough to tell him to marry Clara without delay to lessen Nucky's ability to punish her for choosing Jimmy's side, for choosing to leave with him that day.

And Richard had his own fears for Jimmy. If Nucky made it through the trial, Richard wasn't certain Jimmy would survive.

After all, everyone knew the punishment for treason was death.

***

Darmody Beach House

The smell hit them as they climbed out of the Ford. The acrid smell of burnt wood, paper, cloth. Another smell, more chemical, burned their noses. Richard flashed back to France, the pretty villages set aflame by stray shells, the scent of hundreds of years of history turning to ashes. He froze in place, no longer seeing the beach house.

Clara's hand twisted into her skirt and a feeling of nausea rose within her. It felt like she was boiling from within. Closing her eyes she repeated silently I'm in Atlantic City I'm in Atlantic City I'm in Atlantic City. Someone's burning trash someone's burning trash someone's burning trash. I'm in Atlantic City.

"Come on," Tommy said, pulling at Richard's hand. "I want to go inside."

Richard nodded, looking down at the boy and trying to refocus on where he was. Looking over at Clara, he saw the dazed expression on her face as she stared blankly toward the house.