Fossils and Ambitions Part One: Feb 1921

February 14th, 1921: Atlantic City and Washington, D.C.

While Clara changed into her pajamas in the bathroom, Richard took the extra blanket from the closet and laid it on the floor next to the bed.

"What's this?" she asked when she walked back into the room. She was toying with the hem of her pajama top because, she reflected, it was a little anxiety-provoking to change into pajamas and walk back out to the bedroom of the man after kissing him. Her anxiety was made worse by the fact she'd forgotten to grab her kimono in her haste to get out of the Ritz, and so she didn't have anything to cover up with.

Richard looked down at his feet. "Mmm, you can. Have the bed."

"I'll sleep on the floor. I'm here uninvited, I burst into your room..." Richard shook his head. "Or, we shared the sofa in New York. I'm sure we can manage to share this." She wasn't sure, actually, but she was willing to try. She laid down on her side against the wall and closed her eyes. The room was silent and curiosity made her desperately want to open her eyes until she felt the mattress dip when Richard sat down and she heard the bedside lamp being extinguished. The mask made a distinct noise when he placed it on the bedside table. She kept her eyes closed while he lifted the blanket and stretched out next to her. The narrowness of the bed meant their feet and legs entangled immediately, but it was the feel of his breath on her face and his hand tentatively landing on her waist that made her finally open her eyes to find him looking at her.

"Mmm, I..."

"You don't have to ask," she said quietly. In a few seconds, his mouth was back on hers.

The early morning light cast odd shadows around the room. As Richard woke up, he felt like every part of him was entwined with Clara. He doesn't ever want to move, but suddenly he realizes he's pressed against her leg and it's becoming more noticeable with every passing second. He doesn't want to frighten her when she wakes up, so he slowly starts pulling away from her. When he stands up, Clara stirs and reaches for his hand. He tells her he'll be back, and watches as she falls back to sleep.

When he returns, Clara is dressed and standing in front of the mirror pinning her hair. The bed has been made, badly.

"Here's breakfast."

"Thank you, I never ate dinner last night, I'm starving." He puts her food down on the desk and sets his on the dresser.

"I have to. Go to D.C. And drop something off." Richard tells her.

"Oh, I can go somewhere..."

He shakes his head and looks right at her, which makes her breath catch. "I thought. You could. Come with me."

Clara smiles at him.

Everything feels so good that it makes Richard nervous. It's as if one of the collages from his book was coming to life around him. He wasn't able to sit at a table with her, but she was at the desk while he stood across from her at the dresser eating breakfast. He helped her with her coat. She had to stop and call the Ritz (Eddie told her in no uncertain terms to stay away), but then she's his for the entire day. Instead of a long, lonely car ride Clara sits next to him, reads him articles from the newspaper (although he notices not the ones about her father covering the front page), convinces him to play twenty questions, and sometimes just looks out the window. The silence is nicer when it's shared.

When they finally arrive in Washington she directs him to Mount Vernon Square and the largest library he's ever seen. The building is made of marble and looks at how he's always imagined the Capitol to look. He leaves her there and goes to run Jimmy's errand.