What Dreams May Come Part Two-August 1921

As usual, Mickey Doyle didn't have enough men guarding the warehouse and the ones who were on duty were used to taking their orders from Richard. The look on Richard's and Jimmy's faces didn't invite questions, and Jimmy and Richard slipped in without Doyle noticing.

The sound of Doyle's horrid giggle echoed throughout the mostly empty warehouse. At least, Jimmy thought, they were finally almost done with George Remus's liquor. Richard's focus was almost terrifying. Jimmy doubted that Richard noticed anything that wasn't directly related to his mission.

Doyle never saw them coming. Jimmy covered from the back, while Richard came in from the side like an avenging demon. He slammed Doyle into the wall and pinned him into the place with his forearm.

"Where. Is. My. Wife?" Richard growled out.

Doyle giggled. "Is this a joke?"

Richard moved his arm so it was pressing against Doyle's throat.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! I didn't even know you had a wife. Not my problem if you couldn't keep her."

"I don't. Have. Time for this," Richard said, pushing his arm further into Doyle's throat.

"And I don't even know who you are talking about?" Doyle whined.

Jimmy took his time lighting a cigarette. "Clara," he finally said.

Doyle looked over at Jimmy. "Clara?" he asked, and then realization dawned across his face. "Nucky's Clara? Princess Clara married Tin Face?"

Richard readjusted his grip and Doyle moaned in pain. "Hey, it ain't my fault if she came to her senses!"

"Someone. Took. Her from. Jimmy's house," Richard had to stop talking for a moment. "She was. Screaming."

"Thing is, Doyle, I figure the same person who killed my wife in my house probably snatched Clara from my house. And we all know who killed Angela. Your ole pal Munya."

"Jimmy I didn't have nothin' to do with that. Whatever Munya did I didn't know," Doyle pleaded.

"Sure," Jimmy said. "But I know for a fact that you know where he's holed up."

Nucky must've told him, Doyle reasoned. "If Nucky says it's okay," he answered.

Jimmy saw Richard's shoulders tense. He heard it, too. Nuck had acted yesterday like he had no idea who Manny Horvitz was, but now he was in charge of giving Doyle the okay to divulge the fucking Butcher's location.

It had just been a ploy, Jimmy thought. Nucky had just been playing him. There was no forgiveness. Yesterday, Jimmy had been willing to accept the idea that Nuck just wanted him to clean up his mess and march off to his death, but right now he felt differently.

"Clara is Nuck's daughter. You don't think he's doing everything he can to find out who has her, and doesn't expect all of us to do the same?" Jimmy said coldly.

"We are. Leaving. To find the Butcher. Now," Richard said and grabbed Doyle by the back of the shirt. Doyle was silent as Richard threw him into the backseat of the Ford.

***

It was cold, but Mommy had agreed to take them looking for shells. The wind whipped across her face, but Clara didn't care. She and Jimmy put their pail in their sand and dug through the shells.

Gillian was there. Clara ran up to hug her, but Gillian carefully stepped away from Clara's hug and Jimmy's, although she leaned down and kissed Jimmy's mouth. No sand on my coat, she'd cried, avoiding Jimmy's and Clara's hands.