The 57° Expedition

[AN:

Happy new year folks! ❤️ I hope you are staying safe and healthy through these strange times...

Warnings: it's the 57° expedition... you know the drill

Songs: "I Found" by Amber Run, "Rise" by League of Legends, The Glitch Mob, Mako, The Word Alive, "Way Down We Go" by KALEO.]

DAPHNE'S POV

I didn't know how long I'd been running but at that point, I couldn't feel my legs anymore. All around me it was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing. But I knew I needed to run, and fast. Creepy sounds echoed alternating with loud thuds all around me. I didn't have a clue of where I was or where I was going.

The thuds suddenly became heavy steps and an unmistakable evil laugh roared from behind my back. "The master," I thought. And soon after I could recognize in between those strange noises coming all around me, my sisters' cries and screams. "I can't take this anymore...". I was out of breath.

I turned around, and in the darkness, I started to identify something, like a pair of feet... bare and giant feet. A fucking titan was now chasing after me. "What the fuck is going on??" My master's laugh soon turned into an animalistic grunt coming from that beast. I kept running as fast as I could but I really couldn't take it anymore.

The only thing that came into my mind at that moment was a name, four letters: Levi. I started to repeat his name like a spell, or a prayer as if it could make all of the fear disappear. As I kept running, I turned again to see if that monster was still chasing me. Of course, it was. Its heavy footsteps echoed all around giving me chills. "Levi... Levi" He was all I could think of.

I turned to focus better on my run but I suddenly bumped into something. Well, someone.

"Hey, little marathoner, where were you running so fast?" I heard him saying as he caught me by the shoulders to stop me. "Levi..." I whispered still panting, almost out of breath, as soon as I recognized him. "Were you looking for me?" he said, softly smiling.

He rarely smiled like that, however, I felt like I had seen that expression just a few minutes before. In my bedroom, right? But now... Where did I end up? And where was the titan?

I faintly nodded in response and glancing all around I noticed I was in the middle of a meadow, it was probably noon and Levi was right in front of me.

"Levi..." I said again, instinctively getting closer to him, resting my forehead on his. He squeezed my shoulders, deeply inhaling and then whispering, a few inches from me: "Not here". He paused and silently stared at me. Then his husky voice resonated between us again: "Let's go inside first. I've been waiting for you for so long, Daphne".

At the sound of his words, I leaned closer, kissing him softly. "Levi" I whispered once again, smiling back at him. I couldn't help myself: I felt so safe, rested, in peace. The chase was over.

The military alarm suddenly woke me up and rubbing my eyes I started to realize I was back in my room, in my bed. And alone. I extended one arm, brushing the cold sheets beside me. He must have been gone for a long time ... He was there yesterday night, right? I didn't imagine that, right?

I got closer to the spot where he had supposedly rested, awkwardly thinking about what to do. I felt so fucking childish... How old am I? Twelve?? In the solitude of my room, I secretly inhaled the sheets: that unmistakable cool scent was still there and seemed to temporarily refresh my thirst for him.