Chapter 12 - Want

Dispite the warmth of spring, a cold wafts through the castle at night, chilling those who dare step out of a hearth or their beds. At this hour, even the servants had retired to their own cots. Lord knows you were already fast asleep. Yet here he is, the dens warmth brewing his thoughts. The years had passed since the days everything had gone so terribly wrong.

The scars in his armored skin ache as he remembers, it's too late now. They begin to rush him, but he doesnt cry as he usually does. He sits silently, eyes holding the flames under the mantle as his past replays in his mind.

The piece and staff had bed set aside hours ago. The kingdom in varying states of excitement and worry. Those excited for the young kings rule, and others who worried the dangers of a 14 year old taking the throne. A cold gaze bore down at the citizens celebrating in the grand city below. Traditional songs blaring through the streets as many people got hopelessly drunk.

Footsteps clattered through the hall to the window in which he stood. Huffing breaths as the messy haired boy tried to stand as tall as his twin brother. "C'mon Vergil. Just because you're King now doesnt mean you have to be a grumpy old man like father." An icy glare is shot at him, unkempt with most of his garb abandoned. Nothing but his trousers, boots, and a loosely fitted shirt.

He looked just as much of a fool as he is, yet the chamber maids he flirted with fell head over heels for the boy. With a clearing of the throat the young king gets the attention of his right hand man. "Yes Sir?" "Have everything ready by the end of the week for my little brother to be taken to his new home in Redgrave Castle. Sadness filled the eyes and expression of the slightly younger boy.

Castle Sparda had been his only true home since as long as he could remember. Castle Redgrave had been the home his mother returned to in the spring and with frets between her and their father. "But... c'mon Verg..."

No amount of begging would keep from the distant castle frombing readied. And no amount of eye rolls could keep the red twin from visiting the weeks after his brothers coronation.

"Vergil?"

He glances over his shoulder, the familiar form of the woman who'd taken this forsaken place as her home comes into veiw. Your hand places on the arm of his seat. "Why are you still awake this late? Is everything... alright?" He nods, his eyes returning to the the fire blazing in front of him. "Restlessness is all." You hum, sliding down next to the chair. "Then I'll stay here with you until you're ready to sleep."

He let's out an impressed sigh, yet again you baffle him with your kindness. The two of you sit in silence, your own exhaustion causes your eyes to flutter after some time. The warmth of the fire is better then any blanket you could have. He notices your hand resting at the edge of the chair arm. And in a split second, he rests his much larger one on top of yours. You smile and faid off into your dreams.

Your small, soft hand felt so natural under his, almost as if they were ment to fit together. Like a puzzle piece. You were right about it being late, and he had promised he'd wake early for something. A suprise from you to him. Your presence with him sooths all of his thoughts, all of his nerves. He rises, taking you into his arms.

Holding you close as he leaves the den, fearing you'll wake from the cold of the halls. It was a short track to his room, this would not be the first time you slept in his bed... deep down he Hope's it wont be the last. He rests you on the side closest to the balcony doors, the light of the full moon illuminating your ethereal features.

Each sculpted by aphrodite herself. That had to be it. Why else would you be so kind?

Why else would he be so drawn to your warmth?