Unexpected Consequences

"Arrest him!" Snugglemagne cried, pointing a claw at the former Sky Pirate. Mao Mao tried to protest against it, but his pleas fell on deaf ears. He knew that there was a chance that something like this could happen, but the feline wanted to believe there was a chance the king would reward the former villain for helping do the right thing. With little choice, Mao Mao watched as Badgerclops was dragged off towards the dungeon.

"Ah, Mao Mao. I will admit, I was starting to have my doubts. But you have proved me wrong. We are indebted to you for returning the piece and returning the Ruby Pure Heart to its former glory; I also applaud the added touch of hand delivering me a new prisoner. Ooh, I love a good trial!"

"T-thank you, your majesty. It was the least I could do," Mao Mao said with a curt bow. "B-but he wasn't-"

"So now," Snugglemagne said, clapping his paws together and standing up from his throne. "With the piece back in place, the barrier is up and the valley is safe once again."

Around them, the palace's repairs were complete and the place looked like the attack from the Sky Pirates never happened. None of the Sweetypies were hurt from the villains robbing sprees and it seemed that everything was back to normal. There was nothing to worry about anymore, no more problem to solve. The Ruby Pure Heart was restored and the king was happy. But for Mao Mao he couldn't revel in the pride of what he had done.

All he could think of was Badgerclops, the one who helped achieve all of this, being locked away and denied any credit for what he did. He was dismissed by the king and he took advantage of that by excusing himself to go see the 'prisoner.' As he was the one who brought him in, the guard stepped aside to let Mao Mao in. What surprised the hero was the fact that Badgerclops was just fine being a 'prisoner.' In fact the dungeon was nothing like he expected. There the badger was, laying back in a lounge chair. The floor covered in red velvet carpeting and the walls were painted a royal red with a dimly lit candles hanging on the chandelier above.

"Uh, hey, Badgerclops," Mao Mao said after clearing his throat. "How are you holding up?"

The badger opened his eye in surprise to see the black cat on the other side of the bars. "Heya, Mao! This is... way better than the dungeon in the Sky Pirates ship!" With a content sigh, Badgrclops laid back in the chair and kicked his feet up. "I could stay here for a while."

"Badgerclops, this is the dungeon! You're a prisoner! How can you be so calm right now?" Mao Mao hissed.

"Doesn't feel like it!" the badger chuckled.

"Well, don't worry," the feline huffed. "I'm gonna get you out of here. I don't know how though..."

With nothing else coming to mind, Mao Mao slunk to the floor and sat against the metal bars, watching the badger relax the glorified lounge room. Badgerclops heard the feline's body hitting the ground and he opened his eye to see the dark fur lying against the bars. With a small heave, Badgerclops lifted himself off of the lounge chair ans stepped towards his new friend.

Mao Mao jumped a bit upon feeling something pressing against him through the bars. But looking back he was met with a small smile from the badger. Returning a smile of his own, the two sat together. They spent more of the time talking. Talking about their past and their hopes of the future. Badgerclops found that having someone to talk to and actually listen to his words. Mao Mao was glad to have someone to really communicate with too. The two of them stayed by each other's side until they fell asleep.

"Mao Mao!"

The feline's eyes darted open and he was face-to-face with the king and two of his guards. Mao Mao quickly stood up and dusted himself off. His awakening was so sudden that for a moment the cat didn't even know where he was. After looking around the memory of last's night events came back to him. Badgerclops was lying on the lounge chair, just starting to wake up.

"Your majesty! Sorry, I was just-"

"No need to explain. It's very clear what you are doing!" Snugglemagne said, placing his paws on his hips.

"It is?" Mao Mao asked fearfully.

"Yes, you were clearly... Interrogating the prisoner the whole night through," the king smiled, clapping his paws together. "You a more thorough than I thought. But that won't be necessary. We've prepared everything last night and now we can carry out with the execution!"

"With the what?!" Badgerclops yelled, falling out of the chair. He scrambled up to the bars, gripping them tight between his paws.

"You heard me, cad. You're set to be executed come this afternoon," Snugglemagne elaborated. "Any tampering with the sacred Ruby Pure Heart is punishable by death."

"So, w-who's going to be doing the executing?"

"Why it's going to be none other than our very own Shin Mao!" the royal lion explained with a small giggle. "It's been so long since there's been an execution. Not since Snugglemagne XIV!"

"B-but your majesty!" Mao Mao pleaded. "Badgerclops helped me return the Ruby Pure Heart!"

"Nonsense, our dear hero," Snugglemagne scoffed. "He merely returned what he stole, not nearly enough to make up for what he did. Now, the great Shin Mao is on the way and we need to have everything ready. We'll make an example out of the badger and keep this from happening ever again."

With a snap of his claws, Snugglemagne ordered his guards to take the panicking Badgerclops away. Mao Mao wanted to fight against them, to help Badgerclops escape. But the knowledge of his father coming here to the Pure Heart Valley, being the one to carry out the execution left him unable to move, stuck in his own thoughts. The very idea of seeing his father again left him paralyzed as the guard carried the badger off.