The Arrival

King Snugglemagne paced back and forth across the throne. He hoped that the letter made its way to the Mao clan. It was only after he sent the messenger off away that the king realized just how much danger the poor soul was in. So now the lion was pacing through the pain on his feet, just hoping and praying that the message would get there and their savior would arrive.

"Sire? Are you alright?" the voice of one of the royal guard's caught the distracted lion's attention. He turned to the guard, cleared his throat and puffed out his chest.

"Yes, yes. Quite alright. Our help will arrive soon, we'll have the Ruby Pure Heart repaired, and we'll all put this terrible mess behind us," Snugglemagne said, trying to reassure himself more than the guard. "Yes, everything will be fine."

"If you say so, your majesty." the guard bowed and returned to his position.

"Well, everything will be fine if they actually arrive," the lion muttered to himself and slumped into his throne with an exasperated groan. He began to question what he was doing or if there was even a point to whatever he was doing.

As if on cue, the front doors of the throne flew open. Against the light beaming from the outside a figure stepped in.

"Someone looking for a hero?" a husky voice asked. The king sat up in his throne, looking at the figure in the distance. "Well, the hero has arrived!"

King Snugglemagne watched as the figure grew closer and closer. "And that hero's name is: Mao Mao!" the small black cat introduced, stepping up to the throne.

"Oh..." Snugglemagne said aloud. He was expecting someone a lot bigger. "You're a hero?"

"Y-yes," the cat stammered. "Just like the rest of my family. I--Mao Mao of the Mao Clan am at your service."

Snugglemagne looked down at the black cat who was now bowing before him.

Well, if he is part of the Mao family, then he could be the hero we have been waiting for. I suppose we'll have to hope, the lion thought to himself.

Snugglemagne cleared his throat and addressed the black cat once again, making sure to swish his cape. Even in times of peril Snugglemagne was still firm on keeping his regal image.

"Our new sheriff Mao Mao. I'm sure you must have many questions about my subjects and I but the most pressing question is 'Why have you been called here?' Yes, that is the question...."

Mao Mao took a moment to calm down and think for a moment. The king was right. He was brought here for a reason, and the villagers here needed his help. I need to take this seriously, Mao Mao encouraged himself.

"We have summoned you here because of a ghastly band of villains that call themselves the Sky Pirates. They came in, nearly assassinated me, and stole our most prized treasure. The Ruby Pure Heart!" the King pointed up through the holes in the ceiling that yet to be repaired. Mao Mao looked up to see the gigantic heart shaped pink crystal that stood on top of the castle.

"You see that hideoushole those knaves left in the Ruby Pure Heart? They took a piece of it and made off not far from here," Snugglemagne explained.

"Why did they do it?" Mao Mao asked. Little did he know the lion was all too happy to explain why.

"Well, you see that Ruby Pure Heart is more than a simple crystal. Very much so the Sky Pirates did this for much more than treasure. This valley has been here for millennia and even before that. There are many powers and secrets that his valley holds. But the most powerful and secretive of all in Pure Heart Valley is the Ruby Pure Heart which casts a magical shield that not only protects us from outside forces, but keeps us hidden from their and all else's sight," King Snugglemagne went on further to explain a few more trivial and 'amazing' facts about the history, legends, and mysteries of the land. Mao Mao did his best to listen but his attention would often drift off. But he got a good idea of the situation at hand.

The valley's only defense was gone and the culprits who did it were not too far away. From what the king told him they landed they were still somewhere nearby in hiding. The black furred feline figured that the only thing he had left to do was find them and get that chunk of Ruby back.

When the King finished Mao Mao smiled and thanked him for the 'extensive' info. Snugglemagne was so pleased to hear that Mao Mao enjoyed his review that he offered to also go into the even more extensive history about his lineage and every unique feat accomplished by each King Snugglemagne of their time before him. Mao Mao respectfully declined but offered to hear all about it when the job was done.

"Don't worry, your majesty! I'll find the Sky Pirates and get the Ruby Pure Heart piece back!" Mao Mao promised. The King was more than happy to hear this. He was about to give the cat praise for his bravery and quick action, but as soon as Mao Mao made his declaration he was already running out of the palace.