What the Heart Wants

Mao Mao dreaded entering the main corridor of the palace for many reasons. Most notably was his own father, Shin Mao discussing something with the king while Badgerclops was being restrained within a pillory. The young feline knew that he had to stop this but the question was how.

"Ah, Mao Mao!" Shin Mao smiled as his son stepped into view. "I was wondering when you showed up. When I heard you managed to retrieve the Ruby Pure Heart piece I didn't believe it at first."

Mao Mao's ears lowered upon hearing that his father still lacked any faith in him. Some part of him knew that this was going to be the case no matter what he did. But anticipating it didn't make the words sting any less.

"However seeing for myself, it's clear that the entire valley is praising your name. What's more I heard you even managed to bring in a prisoner. Perhaps you had more mettle than I thought. Son, I am proud of you."

Mao Mao's eyes widened upon hearing those words. He only wished they could have grown wider upon seeing his father unsheathe his signature sword. Behind him he could heard Badgerclops yelp in fear. Now under his father's gaze Mao Mao was paralyzed. As the feline saw it he had two options:

The first was to take his katana and free Badgerclops before the execution could take place. It seemed like a simple choice but Mao Mao considered the consequences of losing his father's approval and the reputation as a great hero that he just gained in the valley.

But of course that meant the other option available to him was to let the execution take place, keeping the admiration of the entire valley and his own father. But that would mean the loss of his new friend.

Mao Mao weighed his options and the answer was an easy one to make. As far as he was concerned, Badgerclops was someone in need, someone who needed a hero. Not only was it the right thing to help the badger, but it was something that Mao Mao had his heart set on, evolving the feeling from a want to a burning desire. If he couldn't save Badgerclops then there was no point in being a hero.

Shin Mao raised his blade high into the air. Right in the way of the upcoming swing was Badgerclops, frantically trying to free himself from the pillory. Under normal circumstances he could have used his mechanical arm but that was no longer an option available thanks to Orangusnake. With no tricks left, Badgerclops stopped struggling, closed his eye and waited for it all to be over.

With a grunt Shin Mao swung his blade down but in a blur of motion it was stopped, clashing against Mao Mao's katana. The smaller feline was visibly struggling against the large blade but he held firm, knowing what was at stake if he let up for a moment. Badgerclops opened his eye and what he saw left him breathless. There were no words that he could think of to say.

"Mao Mao? What are you doing?" Shin Mao asked, drawing his blade back.

"I... Can't let you do this!" Mao Mao said firmly, keeping his katana help firm in his gloves.

"Badgerclops may have done some bad things but when it really counted, he did the right thing!"

"But he is a criminal!" Shin Mao countered.

"The only reason I was able to the get piece back is because of Badgerclops. If he never helped me none of this would be possible," Mao Mao admitted. "Badgerclops is just as much a hero as I am!"

With a swift and precise motion, Mao Mao turned around and two swings he cut the badger free from the wooden restraints. With a grunt and a stretch Badgerclops stood tall, quickly taking Mao Mao's side.

"What is the meaning of all this?" Shin Mao demanded.

"I'm doing this because I care about Badgerclops!" Mao Mao shouted.