Chapter 43

It's about 30 minutes until midnight and we were all just sitting around and talking.

"So what's going on between you two now, huh?" Riv questions motioning to me and Daniel, who is sitting right beside me on the little blanket laid around, changing the topic.

If I were to get a dime every time people questioned me with that exact question, I'd be rich as hell right now.

Heat starts to crawl up my cheeks and I shrug, "We don't know yet, but we'll figure it out."

This whole night was pretty awkward between me and Pres. He'd be stealing glances at me from time to time and I'd always feel his eyes burning through me.

Daniel puts his hand on top of mine.

"You guys are too cute," Tori squeals.

Everyone was just sitting around and we were engulfed in conversation. Amanda sat beside Daniel on his left, while I was on his right. He had his arm around both of us. Everyone else were either on chairs or the other picnic blanket that was laid around in between the chairs.

"Yeah but if you hurt our sister, we will hurt you," Tommy and Johnny say in unison with their 'scary' expressions while pointing at Daniel. They were sat beside each other and made me see the resemblance of their faces to my dad.

They have his perfectly curved and straight nose and also his eyes. They both have the darker brown while I got the hazel one from my mother.

"How long did it take you guys to practice that whole 'intimidating' speech," I say emphasizing the word 'intimidating'.

Johnny shrugs, "A long time, but it was fun."

"Don't worry, I won't ever do anything to hurt her. Or at least I'll try not to," Daniel seriously says with a smile looking at me, pulling me closer.

"Yeah you better not because your future mommy will kick my ass if my son hurts her cousin," Lachlan jokes around.

I feel Daniel get uneasy just a bit from the reminder that his mom passed away, so I pull him closer by pulling the other side of his neck towards me, softly with my left arm.

Again, I felt eyes on me, which I know is Pres. I feel sorry that he has to go through seeing this, but I can't help but show affection towards Daniel. Because I love him.

Conversations were thrown around until it was now 10 minutes before New Years and we were taking all the noisemakers and other things. There were no mini confetti canons because that's the thing the doctors didn't allow us to put up here.

There were a numerous patients and their family coming up the roof too, to probably watch the fireworks and for the countdown. Daniel mentioned earlier that he bought a lot of extra noisemakers and toys and glow in the dark things because the doctors told him that other patients come up here too. He also made sure everyone either bought or cooked a lot of food for them to eat too.

He said, and I quote, 'I want them to have their fun toys too. I just want to see them smile despite whatever happened to them to make them come here to the hospital.' It really warmed my heart when he said that. I really do love this guy.

We put on hats that had the words 'Happy New Years' on them. Some of them were cone hats and others were headbands with the words on it.

We were all about at an 8 feet distance from the ledge, just preparing for the countdown which was on Riv's phone.

I glances at the family of 3 right beside us. They looked very happy. They were playing around with their, who looks like, 6 or 7 year old who had a nasal cannula on and was on a wheelchair. Her head was shaved off and her eye-bags were pretty visible from here.