Ache

Klaus was in the passenger seat as they pulled up to some high end looking apartments in uptown Fayette, Mississippi. He looked towards his older brother who had a determined look on his face.
"Are you going to be alright, brother?" Klaus asked while they both unbuckled their seat belts.
"Don't you start Niklaus." Elijah said exasperatedly as he exited the vehicle.
"Believe it or not, I'm not teasing you Elijah. That's Kol's job anyway." He muttered the last part, but of course his brother heard him as they entered the glass doors of the apartment building.
The bellman attempted to stop them, but Elijah just grabbed his arm and said, "I need to know the apartment number of a Cordelia Russo."
"There is no Cordelia Russo here." The bellman responded in a monotone voice, "But we do have a Delia Russel."
Elijah looked towards his brother, who shrugged.
"Could be." Klaus stated in response to the look, "Most vampires undergo a pseudonym, especially when they don't want to be found."
Elijah frowned, part of him still not wanting to believe that she would want to stay away from him so badly.
He shook his head at these thoughts and compelled the bellman again, "I'd like you to tell me her apartment number please."
"She's on the top floor: apartment 26C." The man responded.
"Thank you, now forget about this conversation." Elijah finished the compulsion and walked towards the elevators across the lobby, Klaus next to him.
Once they were in the elevator Klaus decided to push the previous subject further.
"All I'm saying is, if my true love from nearly 900 years ago went through all this trouble not to see me, that would sting a bit." Klaus looked straight ahead, sparing a quick glance towards his brother's determined gaze.
"Niklaus, you've truly lost it if you think I'm discussing this with you." Elijah said plainly.
"Look," Klaus began, turning towards Elijah and grabbing his arm to further get his point across. "She obviously wanted to stay away for a reason. I cared about her too, and it hurt when she left. But if we are going to get her to help us, I have a feeling that asking nicely isn't going to work like it used to."
"What are you suggesting exactly," Elijah sighed. "Good cop, bad cop? Because, I hate to ruin one of your favorite tactics, but she might be expecting that one."
"All I'm asking from you is, for the moment, to channel your hurt emotions into helping me get this done and protecting Hope." Klaus requested of his brother as the elevator stopped and the doors opened.
"Alright." Elijah finally said, stepping through the doors and looking for a door labeled 26C.
He looked towards his brother and put a finger to his lips, knowing that if she was here, she'd be able to hear them coming a mile away. Klaus nodded as if he already knew this and helped his brother search for the correct number. When he spotted it, he tapped Elijah on the shoulder and pointed towards it. They both stood in front of the door, neither willing to admit that they were both excited and scared as to who could be on the other side.
Elijah finally took a breath and knocked three times on the door.
"Coming!" They heard from the other side. Elijah's breath hitched, he'd recognize that voice anywhere. It was her.
The door knob twisted, the door opened, and her features changed quickly from innocent curiosity to blatant fear. She attempted to shut the door as quickly as she'd opened it, but Klaus caught it and easily pushed it back.
"Well, that's not very hospitable love." He said with a smirk.
Elijah's face remained neutral but thoughts were toppling over one another in his head. Thoughts that he was working hard to make sure stayed within him. Thoughts that told him that she looked just as beautiful now as she did then. Thoughts that made him notice her hair was now shoulder length instead of it's long, flowing nature that he had known before. But the loudest thought was how he had missed her. He'd missed her laugh, her scent, her ability to command a room.
Little did Elijah know that thoughts of a similar nature were running through her head as well upon seeing him, but she had to shove them aside for fear of their safety.
"You two need to leave." She said whilst attempting to control her breathing.
"Well, we would, but turns out we need your help." Klaus responded.
"That's really not a good idea." She said as she attempted to shut the door again. This time Elijah caught it.
"Well, as it happens I know that you are part vampire so..." He put a foot forward over the threshold. "We can walk right in." They were now standing incredibly close. As he was just past the archway and her hand still held the doorknob. They stared at each other. Every moment they had shared in the past seemed to flash between them. The stolen kisses, the moments in the garden, the proposal; it all flashed by like a blur.
Klaus could practically feel the tension radiating from the two. He cleared his throat to remind them of his presence. Elijah looked toward him and then proceeded to walk fully into the apartment. Klaus was hot on his tail before she could shut the door again.
"Now, would you permit us to explain our request for your help, or are you going to attempt to throw us out again?" Elijah asked as he turned back around to face her. She looked at them both nervously.
"You two don't seem to understand. I can't be near you."
Elijah was about to ask her for an explanation when Klaus interrupted and said, "Well that's too bad. Because we need you to come back to New Orleans with us. We're having a witch problem involving some family members we thought were long dead."
"No." She said much too quickly, "It's a very long story. But I cannot and will not go with you."
Again, Elijah was about to ask for an explanation before Klaus took action. He quickly flashed behind her and injected a vervain needle into her neck.
"Niklaus what are you doing?" Elijah asked, alarmed. He went to catch Cordelia as she was rendered unconscious by the needle and fell to the ground.
"I asked some witches to make me an enchanted syringe a while back. I knew there were very few things that would keep her knocked out for extended periods of time." Klaus stated, as if this explained his actions.
Elijah looked at his brother in irritation as he stood up with Cordelia in his arms.
"What?" Klaus asked innocently, "I told you I didn't think simple asking would work."
Elijah sighed and walked towards the door, "Let's just get her home."