CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Harry sighed as he walked into Gringotts Bank. He couldn't believe he was supposed to be Christmas shopping when they were knee-deep in an Azkaban breakout and the biggest case of his career. But Ginny had needed to go to work today, reporting on one of the pre-season Quidditch games, so she'd asked him to go pick up Lily's Christmas present, one of the newest models of broomsticks. He'd figured it would only take a couple of minutes, but then he remembered he needed to stop by the bank for more coins. It seriously astounded him sometimes that wizards hadn't invented some sort of credit card business. If someone did, that person would probably be swimming in galleons.

But alas, they hadn't, so there he was standing in the incredibly long line to go to his vault.

His mind wandered back to the case as he stood in line. It had all gotten so complicated so quickly... finding out about elves, the battle, the Azkaban breakout... and still, he felt like he knew virtually nothing about elves. How did they even exist without him or anyone else knowing about it? And how had the Neverseen learned about wizards― such a closely guarded secret?

He was so lost in his own speculations that he barely noticed when a goblin called, "Next? Sir? We don't have all day!"

Realizing the goblin was talking to him, Harry quickly shook the thoughts out of his mind, although they quickly crept back.

"And you are?" The goblin asked in a flat, weary voice, looking down at a document.

"Er― Harry Potter."

The goblin immediately looked up, his eyes flying to Harry's scar. Although he was more than used to it, Harry felt a spark of annoyance. Even though it had been almost twenty years since the Second Wizarding War, his name still got a reaction. He often wondered if he would ever lead a normal life.

"Ah, Mr. Potter... I presume you wish to enter your vault?"

He nodded. "I have my key right here."

The goblin took the key in his long-fingered hands, inspecting it carefully before saying. "Very well. Erezle!"

A goblin scurried over.

"Take Mr. Potter to his vault, please," the goblin said, handing him the key.

Once again, Harry's name caused Erezle's eyes to flash towards Harry's forehead. Then he said, "Of course. Follow me."

Harry followed the goblin into the familiar passageways, stepping into a shaky cart. A few minutes and a whole lot of twists and turns later, Harry was shoving silver and gold into his bag, and several turns and after that, the ride was over. Harry was just saying his thanks to Erezle when he suddenly thought of something and turned back.

"Erezle?"

The goblin turned in surprise. "Yes?"

"Er... can I ask you something? It might be kind of... strange."

Erezle's brows raised, looking suspicious. "I suppose... that it depends on your question, Mr. Potter."

Harry held back a shiver at the goblin's cold tone. As Minister of Magic, Hermione had managed to significantly improve wizard relationships with goblins, but ever since Griphook had backed out on their bargain years ago, goblins didn't exactly have Harry's full trust. He knew it wasn't very fair to judge all goblins on the actions of one, but... it was hard not to.

"I was wondering..." Harry began, trying to figure out just how to phrase this. "Do you... have you heard of... er... other goblins?"

Erezle blinked, looking at him blankly. "Well... I work with other goblins every day."

"No, no... I mean, have you heard of a different type of goblins? Like ones with gray skin that are seven feet tall?"

This time, Erezle noticeably paled. "I― I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about, sir. Good day." He turned away.

"Wait, wait!" Harry exclaimed. "It's important. A lot of wizards' lives might be in danger! You have to tell me!"

"Mr. Potter, I am under absolutely no obligation to do such a thing, and I beg you, leave me alone!"

"Please!" Harry cried. "Please, I― I need information. This organization― they're a danger to all of the magical world. Not just wizards. If you know anything― please―"

Erezle looked at Harry with a spine-chilling glare. Finally, he said, "You must understand, Mr. Potter, that this isn't information I'm simply choosing to withhold. It's information I'm forbidden to give you."

Harry wished he could silence his loud heartbeat in his ears. Kreacher had said he was forbidden to tell him, too― but that made sense, as he was a house-elf. But who could possibly be able to command goblins? He leaned in closer, hanging on to every word Erezle said.

"However," the goblin stated in a whisper. "I have never agreed with the goblins' silence on the subject. I believe it will only end badly. So I will tell you..." he gulped, glancing around them as though making sure no one was listening. "I will tell you that I have heard of them. In fact, our species used to live among each other. Until they made them all forget..."

"Forget? What do you mean? Why"

The goblin gulped again, then opened his mouth. But just then, a voice called from behind Harry, "Erezle!"

The pair jumped, and Erezle quickly straightened, clearing his throat. "Good day, Mr. Potter."

"No, wait―"

But Erezle was gone, leaving Harry with more questions than before.

Harry huffed in frustration, getting a few strange looks from goblins and wizards around him. What did it all mean? Why wouldn't Erezle or Kreacher tell him what this was all about? Did they just not want to? Or could they really not?

Realizing he was just standing awkwardly in place, Harry quickly exited the bank and was about to apparate home when he realized he hadn't even gotten Lily's broomstick. So he took a quick stop at Quality Quidditch Supplies, almost running into people about a hundred times. It wasn't until he had bought the broomstick, along with some broom care items for Ginny, that he realized something he should have right away, gasping out loud when he did.

There was one person who knew goblins front to back. And if he didn't know what was going on, no one would.

It was time to pay Bill Weasley a visit.