CHAPTER THREE

Sophie felt like puking. "What d'you mean, they're targeting humans?"

"Exactly that." Mr. Forkle ran a hand through his hair. "There have been six human disappearances in the last year, all of them seemingly connected."

"And how do we know they're connected with the Neverseen?" Fitz cut in.

"We don't," Granite said. "It's only a suspicion. That's why we waited to tell you."

But Sophie didn't have time to hear the Black Swan's excuses. "So how are they connected?"

"When we looked at the human records, they all had the same discrepancies," Wraith explained.

"What does that mean?" Biana asked.

"It means that someone messed with their records," Mr. Forkle said. "They all have big blank spots for where they lived and went to school and such."

"Why does the Neverseen care if people know where the people they kidnapped went to school?" Tam inquired.

"We're not entirely sure," Mr. Forkle admitted. "But that's what we're trying to investigate."

"Can we help?" Linh asked eagerly. "We can figure out what's going on!"

Murmurs of agreement sounded from the rest of the group, as well as eager nods.

But Mr. Forkle shook his head firmly. "No. This is something we're investigating."

"How?" Sophie countered. "What are you doing about it?"

The Collective all seemed to hesitate, and that was answer enough for Sophie.

"Exactly!" She exclaimed. "You aren't doing anything about it! How do you expect to get anywhere just sitting around?"

"We do have people working on it..." Mr. Forkle muttered, but Sophie snorted.

"And what do you mean working on it? Waiting around for the information to come to you?"

"And what do you suggest we do?" Granite interjected.

"Easy," Fitz said, glancing at Sophie. "Let us go to the site of the last disappearance."

Exclamations of both outrage and concurrence filled the room at these words. "No! Absolutely not!" Grady said, his response loud and clear even in the chaos of the room.

"Why not?" Sophie objected. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Sandor huffed. "Funny how whenever we seem to think that, you end up having another near-death experience."

Sophie almost expected Keefe to pop out and say, "You mean 'Fostering' it, right?" She felt a pang when she thought of it.

"That's not true!" Dex exclaimed before Sophie could argue. "What about the time we set up those cameras to find that London guy?"

"What about the time that Sophie and Fitz ended up with echoes from Umber's shadows?" Sandor asked. "Or the time Lady Gisela found you in London? Or when Keefe got gutted in a sparring match?"

The name drop felt like a stab in the heart, and it silenced everyone for a moment.

But just a moment. "We're not letting you go," Mr. Forkle said firmly. "There's simply too many unknowns. It's not a risk we're willing to take."

"But―"

"C'mon―"

"Why―"

"No," Mr. Forkle repeated. "And that's our final decision."