CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"How is he?" Sophie asked, standing up as Harry appeared suddenly in Havenfield's living room. Everyone else was staring at Harry, apparently unfamiliar with Apparation.

Harry had demanded that James be taken to St. Mungo's, and Elwin, grumbling furiously, had agreed. As much as Sophie loved Elwin, she couldn't help but agree with Harry. She knew from experience (and by experience she meant reading) how good wizarding healthcare was. And she wasn't quite sure Elwin could beat Healers that could fix broken bones with a single spell.

Either way though, Elwin, apparently determined to be useful in some way, had demanded that all of the elves regroup at Havenfield, where he and Livvy were checking them all over, healing any scratches and bruises people had sustained. Sophie hadn't minded too much, though. It took her mind off what had happened to James.

"He'll be fine," Harry replied. "He's sleeping right now, but the Healers have fixed all of the broken ribs and cut already. They just need him to wake up so they can see if there're any head injuries."

Sophie sighed in relief. Everyone was okay.

"Um― how did you just appear there?" Biana asked, apparently the first willing to voice the question.

"Apparation," Harry explained. "Wizards and witches can disappear and appear magically somewhere else."

Biana stared in awe, and Harry's face showed a mixture of amusement and satisfaction.

"Wait, so, he's your son, right? James?" Marella clarified. She'd seemed rather reluctant to come back to leave James and come back to Havenfield after the battle had ended. When Harry nodded, Marella whispered in Sophie's ear, " 'Cause he's kinda cute. I'm not sure about the whole 'wizard' thing, but..."

"How did James even get there?" Sophie asked Harry, deciding she wasn't sure how to answer Marella. "I didn't see him here before we left."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Albus said that he and James snuck in with Adam, one of my friends. Apparently, they begged him to let them come, and Adam was scared they'd do something stupid if he didn't let them." He looked furious. "Believe me, soon as he's awake, he's gonna get quite the lecture."

"What even happened back there?" Fitz questioned. "Why did everything stop shaking? It didn't look like the Neverseen were the ones who stopped it."

"I'm more concerned about the fact that they had wizards on their side," Harry admitted. "Especially since those were all of the wizards who'd disappeared."

"What?" Dex exclaimed. "So... they weren't disappearing because they were kidnapped. It was because they joined the Neverseen!"

Harry nodded gravely.

Sophie couldn't believe it. The day had so many twists and turns, she was pretty sure she was motion sick. Or maybe that was just the realization that they didn't have the advantage she thought they did.

"Here's what I'm confused about," Sophie spoke up. "Lady Gisela made it sound like she knew the wizards would be there. But how could she? We've kept the alliance with the wizards pretty quiet."

"I was wondering the same thing," Grady admitted.

"Is it possible..." Fitz began hesitantly.

"What?" Sophie asked.

He gulped. "Well, I hate to say this... but maybe someone sold us out."

Sophie stared, feeling anxiety mound. Was it possible they could have, as cheesy as it sounded... a traitor in their midst?