CHAPTER THIRTY

Some of you already saw my post about this, but for my readers who aren't following me, Harry Potter and the Lost Cities reached 5k views! That's amazing! Thank you all so much!

Quick note: this chapter goes back a little bit from the end of Chapter Twenty-Nine to show a certain scene from Sophie's POV. I think it's pretty clear if you read them right in a row, but since it's been a week since a lot of you read, I just thought a reminder would be helpful. :) 

Vote and comment and all that good stuff!! <33

"Hey, Sophie."

Sophie took one last glance at Keefe and Harry, sitting awkwardly on the couches before she looked back to her imparter, whose silver screen was alight with one of Sophie's least favorite Councillors: Oralie. Sophie hated that she had to contact her. But none of the other Councillors knew about the Forgotten Secret she and Oralie had recovered, so Oralie was the only one who could help her.

"Hi," Sophie said, not bothering to keep her voice polite.

She saw Oralie tense at her tone, but the blonde Councillor kept her cool as she asked, "You said you needed to talk to me?"

"Yes," Sophie agreed. "I need to see Mr. Traiser. From the memory."

Oralie's eyes widened, then narrowed. "Isn't he... dead?"

"The memory said he wasn't responsive― not that he was dead," Sophie argued. "I would guess that you moved him to Exile so no one would know, right? I need you to take me to see him."

"Even if he isn't dead, being unresponsive is basically the same thing," Oralie pointed out.

"That's just it though," Sophie took a deep breath, preparing to explain. "I think he might be awake."

Oralie turned her ear closer to the imparter, as though doubting she'd heard correctly. "What?"

Sophie explained their theory that Mr. Traiser could be awake, just how Keefe had woken up after a week or so. Oralie listened with wide eyes.

"So he may have just been sitting in Exile this whole time, with no one knowing he was there?" Oralie asked when Sophie finished.

"It's possible," Sophie agreed. "But in fairness, we don't even know if he's in Exile for sure. Is there a way for you to see what prisoners are in there?"

Oralie shook her head. "The only way to know is to go down to Exile."

Sophie cringed. She'd been to Exile twice before. And it was two times too many.

But she had to do it.

"I need you to take me down there," Sophie declared. "Today."

Oralie hesitated. "Sophie... are you sure that's a good idea?"

"What harm is there? No one can follow us. We go down there quickly, see if he's there, and if he is... well, we'll find out if he's awake or not. If he's still unresponsive or whatever, at least we'll know, and we can just leave. And if he's awake..."

Sophie wasn't really sure what the end to that sentence was. The idea that someone could've been rotting away in Exile for this long...

"Okay." Oralie's voice startled Sophie out of her thoughts, and it took her a moment to realize what she'd said.

"Oh― okay," Sophie agreed, slightly surprised at how quickly Oralie had agreed.

"I'll come by Havenfield in an hour or two. See you then?"

"Okay," Sophie agreed. "See you then."

Sophie clicked the imparter off and Oralie's face flickered away. Sophie took a deep breath. She hated the idea of going to Exile, especially since they couldn't be sure it would even be worth anything... but it had to be done.