𝟏𝟏

Mad? That's not the word for it. Varian was beyond furious with his friends. They had all made it back to the castle, Varian was pacing back and forth. He knew you were in the dungeon, but anytime he wanted to see you the guards would say it's "too dangerous."

The gang was trying to help calm Varian down, Varian kept dismissing them and continued to pace. "Varian, is everything okay?" Rapunzel asked, concern on her freckled face. Varian didn't respond, causing more concern. Eugene placed a hand on his shoulder "it's okay, your safe now Va-!" Varian slapped Eugene's hand off of him.

He quickly turned "I'm fine! I've been fine! She's the one who's not fine! I mean, her home was burnt down! Right in front of her! She's been running from a psychopath for most of her life! A-and as soon as she was in her more confident yet vulnerable state, she was broken all over again! And who's fault is that?!" Varian yelled catching everyone off guard. He was angry, how else would he react?

Cassandra stood up "so you're telling me, that she didn't hurt you? At all?" Varian nodded eagerly. His expression softening "yeah! She just this amazing, smart, radiant person who has been nothing but scared her entire existence." he said, his eyebrows furrowed. "The last time I saw you guys was when SHE was getting attacked! It just feels like whenever you guys show up something bad happens." he crossed his arms turning away from the group.

Rapunzel frowned, "she means a lot to you. Doesn't she?" she asked the raven-haired boy. Varian was quiet, as was the rest of the room. Varian turned to Rapunzel his expression softening "of course she did, she...she was more than a witch in my eyes she was my friend." he said, sadness blanketing his tone.

Rapunzel stood up, hands on her hips, a big grin on her face "then that settles that! We're getting her out of there." Eugene and Cass nodded. Varian's eyes grew wide. "R-really?" Rapunzel nodded her confident smile never fading.

Rapunzel gave Varian a look of pride "Of course! What kind of friends would we be if we watch you suffer like? Alright, gang!" she turned towards the rest of the group "it's time for a prison break!" they all nodded in unison. Varian was still in shock, however. That shock melted away as determination took over. They had a friend to save.
——

With you, the demeanor was distinctly different.

After waking up and being sentenced to death for being something you didn't choose? Yeah, that wasn't fun. You sat on a stone-cold floor your back against the similarly cold wall. Your body was stiff, a former shell of what it had been. All hope for a new life being drained by the painful anticipation of what's waiting for you behind those metal bars.

You recall the similarities between when your parents died and the house burning in front of your face. You snarl as you realize one thing they had in common. "That bastard." You said, your voice was raspy and quiet. You had of course been silent for a little too long. Everyone you've met ends up hating you, hurt, or dead. Louis, Your parents...Varian.

Varian. You recall everything. Maybe you should have left him in the woods when he fainted, maybe you should've lost him on the trip to get flowers, maybe if you hadn't met him at all none of this would be happening. Yet, at the same time, meeting Varian was the best thing to ever happen to you, his smile, his laugh, him. He confused you, he flew into your life at full speed, you could've pushed you away, you could've let him get hurt, you could've jumped off that balcony alone. You didn't though, why? You had no idea.

You growl loudly, you've been thinking for too long. You let your knees rest, sprawling your legs across the floor. You had a bed but, out of pure spite, you refused to lay on it. There surprisingly weren't any other people in the cells except you. You then remembered all that you lost in the fire. Potions, clothes, your mechanical wings...wait...you forgot those existed. Not that you needed them where you're going.