𝟔

You heard the door open from under the roof, "he's awake I guess" you slid Slid down, grabbed the edge, and flipped upside down to look Varian in the eyes. He yelped at the sight of you. You chuckle looking to the...left? Of Varian and seeing midnight, the cat meowed at you.

You smile, pulling your head back up. You pulled up the ladder you put down last night. Letting the rope hang for tomorrow night. You then leaped off the roof. "How was your not sleep?" He said mostly joking.

You raise your brows "good actually, no one tried to kill you in your sleep! Except, for the spiders." You gave him a smug smile as he freaked out a little. You laughed as you moved around him.

Once you got back inside, you immediately got to work. Potions brewing, practicing magic, and midnight time. That would be your plan, if you weren't with the boy of your dreams at the moment. You smiled, then frowned, was he the boy of your dreams? Gosh this entire situation is so confusing.

You walked around grabbing materials, passing Varian every now and then. You noticed him watching you with interest. "You want to join me? I'm just heading to the basement." You said calmly as you placed the items into a basket. Varian nodded and followed you downstairs, to a room much darker than the ones upstairs.

It was dimly lit by purple lanterns on the wall, it was so beautiful yet so hard to see. You placed down the supplies as Varian watched you. The smile on your face was enough to make him smile.

He tilted his head, "well what can I ask you today?" You chuckled "what do you mean?" You looked at him, pausing for a moment. "Well, I mean, why are you a witch? Like, do you have a wand? Or do you just use your hands?" He shrugged as he spoke, moving his head side to side to state his point.

You blinked, resuming your work. "well...1 that's you assuming I had a choice in the matter, 2 I don't have a wand, 3 where are these coming from?" You laughed out. He shrugged again.

He realized the first thing you said "what do you mean?" You look him in his blue eyes. They seemed to shine with a little innocence, not a lot but enough for you to give him a new nickname.

"Okay pup, listen closely." You said a little blatantly. The nickname startled him "Whatever you're reading in those books of yours, ain't it, nothing that you've heard from others are it. it's the parents choice if they want their children to bear this burden."

The look on Varian's face morphed into confusion."I thought you liked being a witch" you put your hands up in defense "don't get me wrong I do! But, I don't know, I guess the idea of being hunted is a bit...uh...horrifying?" You let out a fake laugh.

Varian nodded his head, "witches weren't always hunted though right?" You shook your head "let me educate you a little"

"Witches were seen as special, remarkable, creatures of light. They worked closely with kings and queens to keep their kingdoms safe. And sometimes close with alchemists too. But soon came the mistress. she was known for how cunning, brave, and strong she was. But soon enough, darkness took her over. Some say it was from pure hatred, others say there's more to the story. But once darkness took over, she went on a killing spree, she killed all, humans, animals, monsters. All except other witches. They think that all witches worked with her, after she was killed, witches were sent into hiding in fear of having her same fate."

Varian was listening closely "well what was her fate?" Your eyebrows furrowed in frustration.

"They burned her alive"

Varian's eyes widened into saucers "really?! That's sickening!" You nodded continuing to work. "And most witches nowadays have to deal with the idea of that fate everyday, including me." Varian looked at you in worry. It really was that bad huh?

"Anywhoooo," you said "want to learn some magic?" You said with the dorkiest grin on your face. He smiled and nodded.

————
Okay This was written during my break, and now I'm hella tired.

Thank you all for sticking around, it means a lot to me. 🥰

ps. a warning for future chapters, heavy angst maaaaan, yeah