Chapter Thirteen

You're watching yourself in the mirror, correcting your dress for the hundred time, not knowing how it looks the best. You know it's dumb to dress up for a boy who's already spoken for, but you just want to look somewhat nice when you're in Shawn's company. It's nothing much, though. The dress is blue with tiny flowers and nothing more than a pretty yet casual summer dress. You haven't put much make-up on nor have you done much with your hair other than throwing it in a high ponytail. 

You're slightly conflicted, to be honest. You want to look presentable but you don't want to look like you have put a massive amount of effort in. 

As your eyes watches your body in the mirror, you feel a nagging spreading in your stomach. You find yourself stupid for thinking you are even remotely as pretty as the girls Shawn is probably around twenty-four-seven. You're not a model nor an actress or an artist and you don't look like a diamond. In comparison to Shawn at least. 

You roll your eyes at your reflection, not knowing why you seem to be overthinking this whole thing. You're having dinner with him, he's hardly asking you to marry him. But you're nervous, though. Your palms are sweaty and your cheeks keep blushing and for what? Having dinner with a friend. Because Shawn is nothing more than a friend and you have to remind yourself constantly otherwise you get carried away. 

You throw a jacket over the blue dress and reach for your white sneakers to tie the laces once they're on your feet. Your heart drops when you hear a knock on the door and for a moment, you simply forget to breathe. You clear your throat and remind yourself to stay calm as you sway across the hotel room to open the door. 

Shawn's friendly smile meets you and you cannot stop the one that spreads on your face. He looks absolutely stunning. Wearing tight black jeans and a white hoodie with a silver necklace hanging low around his throat. His curls are messy and falling into his eyes and for some reason, his lips looks more plump than usual. Your eyes darts to the floor when you notice the heat that raises in your cheeks and you feel somewhat embarrassed. 

"Oh," Shawn says and you feel his eyes burning on you. "You look stunning." His sweet words make butterflies crack in your stomach and you feel a heat rush down your spine. You chew into your bottom lip and force yourself to look him in the eye. 

"Thank you." You stutter, choking slightly on your unsteady words. "You don't look too bad yourself." 

Shawn laughs at your joke with a soft nod and you cannot help but stare at him when he smiles widely. You still cannot get over how beautiful this man is and he doesn't even have to try. 

"Are you ready to leave?" Shawn asks you and you send him a nod. You grab your purse and follow Shawn down the hallway. 

"So are you going to tell me the name of the restaurant or are you keeping me in the dark?" You ask and Shawn laughs. 

"I think I'm going to keep you unaware until we get there." Shawn teases and you roll your eyes at him. "That way you won't judge the place." 

"Am I going to get food poisoning from this?" You ask teasingly and Shawn cannot help but smile when he catches on to how his words can be misunderstood. 

"Guess you'll have to take your chances." He jokes and you roll your eyes at him. 

"That doesn't sound very assuring." 

"Don't you trust me?" Shawn asks as he pretends to be hurt by your comment. You push his shoulder and shake your head at his dumb behaviour. 

You both get into the elevator to reach the lobby as Shawn leans against the wall. You talk about nothing and everything, share small laughs and jokes on the way down to the ground floor. Shawn lets you step out first, guiding you with his hand on your back. You smile at him and he removes his hand from you when you enter the large, white lobby. 

"Are you ready for the best pasta in the world?" Shawn dares as he raises an eyebrow. 

"Mh, you have me intrigued, Mendes." 

"Hey baby!" A voice sounds from behind and you both turn to the brown-haired girl standing in the lobby. You re recognise her within seconds and then, you feel your heart sink into your stomach. Camila. 

"Babe?" Shawn says surprised as he walks towards her. "What are you going here?" 

Shawn wraps his arms around her body and gives her a small kiss. It makes your stomach flip and you suddenly feel the ache in your chest. You feel tears pressing on, but you to the best you can from preventing them to fall. You know there is nothing to be upset about, but you can't help the way your heart reacts when you see Shawn with someone. 

You stand behind then awkwardly while rubbing your fingers to cope with the hurt you are feeling at this moment. You watch their moves carefully and it makes a bundle of knots form in your stomach. You watch how Shawn kisses her, how he looks at her. You didn't have the right to be upset nor have an opinion about either of them, but sometimes you cannot help how you feel or who your heart decides to lay their eyes on. 

"You remember my girlfriend Camila, right?" Shawn asks when he turns back to you. You put a fake smile on your face and nod to answer his question. It takes all the strength you have to appear happy and chipper as always.

"Nice to see you again." You greet and send Camila a smile. 

"You too." She says and nods at you. "I didn't know you were here? 

"Oh, uhm. Tom is my uncle so I'm just crashing the party." 

"We were actually about to go eat." Shawn says and turns his attention back to his girlfriend. "You want to come along?" 

"You know what," You stutter as the thought of spending the night with them together freaks you out. "Why don't the two of you just go? Have some time alone now that Camila came to surprise you." 

"No, join us. It will be fun." Camila assure you and Shawn nods in agreement. 

"Let's call Brian?" Shawn says as you attempt to stay. "We can all go out." 

You did not, in any way, want to go out with them. But you didn't have an excuse to suddenly disappear. 

"I'll give him a call, then." You stutter and take a few steps away from them. You shut your eyes as the phone begins to ring, feeling slightly choking and out of breath. 

"Hey, what's up?" Brian says when he answers the phone. You feel tears in your eyes when you hear his voice for some reason. 

"I need you." You blur as a sigh slips out. "Can you come down to the lobby?"