Chapter Two

"Here we are." Shawn says as he drives towards the parking basement underneath the apartment complex. 

"Holy shit." You mumble under your breath as your eyes slides across the massive building. "How big is this place?" You ask Shawn as he drives down to park the black car. 

"There's around 120 apartments." 

These apartments look exclusive and way too expensive, there are wide balconies and large terraces and most of the apartments have massive windows facing the view of the city. Exactly how Tom affords to live here is a bit of a mystery to you, but you surely aren't going to complain about it. 

"Shawn's place has the sickest view over the Toronto skyline." Brian tells you as you unbuckle your seatbelt and leave the car. 

The boys follow behind shortly after and Shawn begins to carry out your suitcases. 

"I bet it's stunning." You tell Brian with a smile as he hands you the grey hoodie you took off before getting into the car at the airport. "Thank you." You pull it over your head and place wild tots of your messy hair behind your ear. 

"You should come see it sometime." Shawn tells you when he hands you the smallest suitcase. "It's better at night, though." 

"I'd like that." You stutter when your fingers brush his hand as he lets you take the handle. 

You feel your heart flicker as a lump seems to appear in your throat. You don't like to admit it, but the way Shawn looks at you forces tiny butterflies to appear in your stomach. 

To be honest, you're a bit surprised at how nice he is being to you. Brian as well. You don't even know these guys, but they have gone out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. 

Brian jokes with you to make you relax, maybe because he senses that you seem a bit tense and Shawn is being way more caring than you would have ever expected a stranger to be. You can see why your uncle likes working him and why he talks so highly about them. 

You follow them to the elevator and watches as Brian's press the number twenty-one. You can't really put words to it, but being back in your father's hometown is messing slightly with your mind. 

You remember walking around Toronto on a Sunday afternoon with your father, searching for fresh vegetables at the food markets around town. You remember sitting on his shoulders and guiding him to the best booths with tomatoes, onions and broccoli for your favourite pasta dish. 

Your eyes flicker towards the floor in the elevator and you feel a sharp pain shooting through your chest. 

"A little overwhelming?" Shawn asks you while placing his palm on your back. 

You feel a soft lingering on your skin from his warm touches and you have to suck in air between your lips gaping slightly open. He gives you a few comforting strokes while your eyes glues to his. 

He sends you a small smile and once again you're sure he knows, you're sure Tom told them the reason for your sudden move across the world. 

"A little bit, yeah." You mumble under your breath as a coldness runs down your spine. 

You don't regret your decision to move, but it wasn't easy to leave your mother and her new boyfriend behind. 

Shawn leans slightly closer to your face and you cannot stop the smile that appears on your lips.

"It always seems scary to make big changes in your life. It felt like that for me as well. It gets better." He calms you and leans away from you once again. You still feel his breath against your skin while your eyes darts towards your feet. 

"It's already a bit better." You say and feel the heat raising on your cheeks. 

You're too embarrassed to look at Shawn, but you hear a small laughter from his mouth. Shawn's hand fall from your back but you still feel the vibrations from his warmth on your skin.

There's a comfortable silence until the elevator reaches the right floor and the grey doors opens slowly. Shawn and Brian roll your suitcases out and when you enter the hall, you see Tom waiting for you at the front door to his apartment. 

"She's here." Brian says with a smile as Tom makes his way towards you. 

He looks the same, blond hair and curls too messy, your father always said he needed a haircut.

 You feel knots in your stomach, some from happiness and some from worry, but they disappear as soon as Tom wraps his arms around you to give you a tight you. When Tom breaks the hug, he takes your hands to get a better look at you. 

"Look at how grown you are." He tells you with a smile and you cannot help but laugh. 

"Well, you haven't aged a day." You joke with him like always. 

"You look like your dad." He tells you and you feel a pressure on your chest. "The same eyes and your nose too." 

Tears form in your eyes but you still manage to send him a smile. It's nice to know, you carry a little of your father with you. A few tears slip down your cheeks but you hurry to wipe them away. 

"I miss him." 

"I miss him too." Tom says while reaching out to pad your shoulder. 

He leans forward and plant a kiss on your forehead, something he's always done for as long as you can remember. 

"Thank you for this, Tom." 

"You don't have to thank me. I wouldn't miss out on the chance to bond with my niece." 

"Besides Tom hasn't stopped talking about you." Brian interrupts with a smirk. "He's been as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve." 

"That's enough, Brian." Tom jokes and makes you laugh. "Did you have a good flight? Did those two idiots come on time?" 

You don't get to answer Tom's question before he turns his eyes towards Shawn and Brian and raises an eyebrow. 

"I hope you two behaved. Did you help her with the luggage?" 

"They were very helpful, Tom." You assured him as Shawn and Brian nodded at your statement. 

"We were good boys." Shawn says innocently. "Promise." 

"I have to get going." Brian tells you before giving you a small hug. "But it was really nice to meet you." 

"You too." You say as Brian heads back towards the elevator. 

"I still have a bit of work left, but why don't you get settled in." Tom suggest as he opens the door to the large apartment. 

"Sure." You answer while reaching for your suitcases. 

"I can help you unpack a little." Shawn offers with a smile and takes the suitcases from you. "If you want me to." 

"That'd be great, thank you." You mumble back and enter the apartment with Shawn and Tom.