25 | burn marks

"Ouch," Evelyn complained as Jenna tightened the corset. "This dress hurts."

"Suck it in, baby."

"I feel like my organs are being crushed," she informed them as she held her hands up. She looked back at Elena through the mirror, "I can't believe I let you talk me into this."

"You're doing it because you love me," Elena pointed out, laughing slightly.

"I still don't understand why you couldn't do this yourself." Evelyn turned and faced her, she sent her a look and she rolled her eyes before standing up.

They arrived ahead of time, giving them time to walk around before Evelyn would have to find the float she would be riding on.

Evelyn approached the Salvatore brothers with Elena at her side. They both turned to look at her.

"Hello boys," she greeted, curtseying jokingly with a slight smirk on her face. She stood up straight to find them both watching her as though they had just seen a ghost, "What?"

"Nothing," Damon shook his head.

"We need to tell you something," Stefan told them.

"Correction, you need to tell them something," Damon countered. "I have business to attend to."

"John?" Elena gaped after Stefan informed them that their uncle was actually their father. "Is that even possible?"

"There is no proof," he explained. "But he dated Isobel when she was a teenager and he was the one who brought her to your dad's office for the delivery."

"My whole life I've never liked this man. I..."

"Sorry, I'm sorry," he approached. "I just...I wanted to tell you before Damon dropped it on you in some typically inappropriate way."

"No, I'm happy that you told me, I just...I really hope that it's not true," she frowned. "What am I supposed to do? Do I just...confront him and say 'Are you my biological father?'"

"I guess, when you're ready."

"I'm never gonna be ready. Stefan, I have enough problems with the family that I actually care about. Jeremy hates me, and why wouldn't he? My journal gave him every single reason to."

"He's just hurt, he's confused."

"He's never going to forgive me for Vicki, for taking away his memories, for lying to him."

"He's your brother, he'll forgive you. Just give him some time."

"I should go," Evelyn announced, feeling uncomfortable with the change in conversation, "Before Caroline goes crazy on me for being late."

"Let's give a big hand to the Mystic Falls High School Marching Band!" Carol Lockwood announced as the parade began.

The marching band and the cheerleaders did their thing and everyone was applauding and screaming.

"And for a little local history, Mr. Saltzman's students have recreated Virginia's Battle of Willow Creek."

The float arrived down the street and the Miss Mystic float was next so Evelyn and Stefan got in position.

"I really hate Elena for this," Evelyn said through clenched teeth as they made our way down the street.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Carol Lockwood began, "Please welcome our stunning Miss Mystic Falls Court and their handsome escorts."

"You're doing fine, just keep it up," Stefan told her from behind and she shook her head.

"This is Caroline Forbes, Miss Mystic Falls. Aren't they beautiful?"