10: The promise

Levi turned his head so that it faced upwards, sighing at the news he'd just received. It wasn't as if he didn't expect it. Like Erwin had said before, he was in no condition to ride a horse or travel anywhere with his injuries. It would be strange, though; this was the first mission since he'd joined where he wasn't told to come. He'd always rode alongside his comrades in every battle, and for now it seemed he couldn't.

"I know you don't want to hear it. I know you'll feel guilty after for all the lives you could've saved. But the most important thing is that you get healed up fast, so that you can assist humanity once more." Erwin said, still not facing Levi.

"I get it." Levi replied. Erwin turned quickly to look at Levi, who was staring plainly at the ceiling. He never expected Levi to comply, much less without a fight or an argument.

Erwin felt happy inside. He could relax knowing that Levi didn't hate him for leaving him here in Trost. It was surprisingly and strangely comforting.
"One condition though." Levi called out as Erwin walked towards the door. Erwin looked behind at the man, an odd and unusual soft look on his face.

"Promise me You'll live. You'll come back here." Levi muttered, loud enough so that Erwin could hear. The words took him pleasantly by surprise, and left him feeling warm. Was this love? Erwin asked himself. Was this what love felt like?

Erwin walked back over to the bed, kneeled down beside Levi and took his hand. Levi flinched a little, but held on nonetheless, the same warm feeling that was flowing through Erwin filling him up, too. Erwin looked up at Levi with his sky blue eyes, the same passionate flame in them as they did when they first sparred.

"If it's for you, Levi, I promise I will come back alive to you. I always will. I promise."

Word count: 331

A shorter chapter and a little cheesy but one that needed to be written.

Hope you're having a good day/night! Remember to take care of yourselves!