21: Under the stars

Levi stared with his eyes wide open through the crack in the door, to see Erwin searching for something around the area of his desk. His hair was sopping wet and all over the place from having a shower, and he didn't have his shirt on. Levi felt his face grow hotter the longer he looked at Erwin, his eyes following his every movement.

Erwin must've heard the floorboards creak or something, because he instinctively spun around to find Levi at the door. Erwin's own eyes widened. He noticed that Levi was red in the face, but chose to ignore it for the time being.

"Levi." Erwin said calmly enough. Hearing his name made Levi snap out of his trance, and look Erwin straight in the eyes. "I'm sorry. I thought the door was locked. Give me a minute to put a shirt on and I'll let you in, ok?"

Levi nodded and shut the door. He breathed in deeply, his thoughts taking over.
I didn't know Erwin was built like that...his abs...his muscles...
Levi shook himself, shocked at what he had become. He wasn't seriously acting and thinking like a little girl, was he? He wasn't thinking about him shirtless like a stupid fan girl of sorts?

"Levi. You can come in now." Erwin's voice spoke from within the room. Levi immediately grabbed at the handle and opened the door, stepped in and closed it behind him. Erwin noticed the red from his cheeks had disappeared, along with his shock. Levi was all kinds of serious now, and Erwin felt slightly intimidated.

"It's been a while." Erwin acknowledged, gesturing for Levi to take a seat, which he declined.
"Yeah."
"I trust you're well? All healed up?"
"..Yeah."

Erwin felt trapped. Levi had obviously come to see him for a reason, but he wasn't saying anything. It was like he was taunting him, as if it was his revenge for the argument they had had. To make him feel more guilty. The look on his face certainly made him think so.

"Hange said you're going on a mission soon." Levi spoke. He looked straight into Erwin's bright blue eyes. The flame of desire for his dream was still there, just duller, it seemed.
"We are. Have you come to ask if you can join us?" Erwin asked suddenly, tracing his fingers along the edge of his desk.

"Yes." Came the quick response. As Erwin looked up into Levi's cold eyes, he saw that light in them. A light that only appeared when he really wanted something, or when he was happy. Call it what you will. Desire. Hope. It was there, and it was the first time Erwin had seen it in a while.

Erwin smiled softly, and gestured to the open window.
"Join me?" He asked gently, walking slowly towards it. Levi shrugged and followed Erwin cautiously, the slight cold breeze coming into the room brushing his hair to the side. The pair climbed outside and onto the roof, basked in the bright light of the moon. Erwin decided to lay down, putting his hands behind his head, while Levi remained sitting, pulling his legs up to his chest.

"Do you want the easy answer or the hard answer?" Erwin asked after a minute or so of silence.
"Huh? What do you mean?" Levi turned to look that the man. He looked completely at peace, the happiest Levi had seen him in six months.
"The reason behind me not letting you go on missions." Erwin replied simply, not looking at Levi at all. The stars were reflected in his eyes.

"I know why. You wanted to protect me." Levi sighed, lying down as well beside Erwin. "It took me some time to realise it, though." Levi kept the truth to himself for the time being; the look of relief on Erwin's face when he heard Levi say that was enough to cherish.

"Is this the part where I apologise?" Erwin asked. Levi thought for a moment.
"No. You don't need to apologise. I see why you did it. Even if I was injured, I would want to go out. You did it so I wouldn't act like the reckless idiot I am."
"Well, you're right about some aspects of that." Erwin chuckled.
"Some aspects?" Levi's voice got quieter.

Erwin closed his eyes and sighed.
"You know, I wrote a letter to say this, because I hoped it would be easier that way. This may be too soon to say anything, since we've only just started talking again, but it's been bugging me for so long. I just need to say something. So...the real reason I wanted you to stay here, safe and protected from harm is..well...because I love you, Levi."

Word count- 796

Ah yes. Love.

I recon this book has around 3-4 chapters left so...damn.

Anyway, thank you for reading this so far! It's been great, and now I'm at the real confession, it feels like I've actually got somewhere, if that makes sense 😅

Make sure you take care of yourselves!