Chapter 3) The Cold.

The sun grew tired, slowly dipping away behind the tree line, as the moon started to dawn on the scouting team. During their time on the planet, it had begun to snow and the wind began to rise as they finally finished setting up camp.

"Now, start organizing a night watch. I expect at least two stormtroopers to be on watch at all times."

General Hux was currently standing with the other highest-ranked staff, discussing their plans for the evening and next day. Hux of course prioritised the safety for the evening over the idea of everyone receiving a full night of sleep.

"Dismissed." Hux left the tent they were all stood in, instantly pulling his hat back onto his head at the sudden bite of snow that flew all around him. He staggered through the snow, practically tumbling through the entrance of his tent. The tent was a large one, one you could stand in and it was shaped like a T; for the fact, there were two open pockets for sleeping areas.

The ginger quickly zipped the tent back up and looked around to find Kylo Ren meditating in his area of the tent. His back was turned, his body facing the small window that was built into the tent so he could see the outside if he so pleased. Hux stared for a moment, before seeing Ren slowly return to his sleeping bag.

Hux moved over to his area, sitting down and removing his soaked boots. But even removing his boots made him feel like he would freeze to death. He sighed briefly, knowing he'd have to sleep in his uniform for the time being till he could figure out another way to unchange without possibly freezing to death. So, Hux ignored the stare he felt on him as he shuffled into his sleeping bag. He laid there for a moment, trying to heat up more but felt like there was no effect.

"Are you going to continue staring or are you going to sleep Ren?"

Hux turned his head over to Ren to see him cross-legged, holding his helmet in his gloved hands and blankly staring. "Sleep, I suppose," he replied rather quietly before he too slipped into his sleeping bag in his uniform.

Hux had no doubt Ren's uniform was a hundred times warmer than his own. Jealousy spread like wildfire through him, making himself turn on his side to not look at Ren with his hateful glare.

But as the night progressed, Hux's envy for the raven-haired man simmered down while his desire for warmth grew. He laid there shaking, curled up in his sleeping bag and trying to make as much heat as he possibly could. Turning over, he saw Ren laying on his back, eyes shut and a face of content while he slept.

"Damn you, Ren," he groaned to himself before he felt the cold bite at him again.

"Sleep well, General?" Ren asked as he walked in through the tent, seeing Hux stir from his cocoon of layers. Hux sat up, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his gloved palms, before glaring at the other.

The General had no luck with sleep that night, he felt that if he slept in his conditions, he'd never wake up again. So when the two faces met each other, Hux had large bags under his eyes but so did Rens surprisingly.

Before the ginger could speak on the other's appearance, the sound of one of his staff near the tent. The staff in questioning was one of Hux's apprentices, they were training to be lieutenant and Hux decided to bring him along. Of course, this wasn't out of kindness and was instead using the poor soul to deal with Ren while Hux just tried to stay sane.

The general began shuffling out of his sleeping bag, making the speed of correcting his appearance till he looked satisfactory. Hux could tell Ren was staring so he turned and stared at the now masked man.

Captain Teanu entered the tent and noticed the two having somewhat of a stand-off. "General Hux?" The young male asked, tightening the grip on his gloved hands behind his back as he wondered if he walked in on something.

"Yes, Captain?" General Hux snapped back, turning to look at the other as he adjusted his gloves. "I hope the troops covered more ground while I was away from my post."

"Indeed they did sir. They scoped out the grassland just in front of your tent sir. Everything is visually fine but our technicians are working on getting droids ready to take a scan of the earth below. Unfortunately, we'll receive those results in the next few days."

By the end of the Captain's update, he had somewhat calmed down was able to form a sentence without a quiver in his tone. "That will be all, Captain." Captain Teanu saluted and took his leave, leaving both General Hux and Kylo Ren with themselves again.

"And what will you be doing today?" Hux questioned, sarcastic interest laced his tone as he glanced over to Ren while he bent down briefly to grab his datapad.

"Covering ground on my own. Snoke contacted me and wants me to complete a mission for him. That's all you're allowed to know, General." Kylo replied, grabbing his lightsabre and attaching it to his waistband. The ginger was now facing Ren and he couldn't help but smirk under the mask at Hux's annoyed face.

"I will be back later this evening, try not dying, General."

With that, Hux was now left in an empty tent.

Hux's day consisted of walking around their camp and having Captain Teanu at his heel the whole time. At one point, their shuttle did land for a brief moment to only collect one of the stormtroopers who had been affected by the cold so badly they feel completely ill. While other staff discussed the wellbeing of the troop, Hux had snooped around the ship and collected anything he deemed worth the taking.

Of course, the secret stash of whiskey he found was one of them.

By the time "dinner" was being served, Kylo Ren was nowhere in sight but neither was Hux. Hux was wrapped up in his greatcoat in his tent, sipping from the cheap bottle of whiskey while checking his datapad on updates of Starkiller Base.

"General Hux is Lord Ren-" Captain Teanu began as they walked into the tent, making Hux look up from his datapad and towards Teanu, who seemed to be astonished at Hux's current situation.

"Yes, Captain Teanu? You were asking me a question and I expect you to finish it." Hux of course wasn't drunk, wouldn't dare to let himself be on this planet.

"Oh yes, I'm sorry General. I was asking if Lord Ren was accompanying you in your tent but it seems he isn't." Teanu hadn't taken his eyes off Ren's empty sleeping bag as he spoke, then returning his gaze to Hux. "We fear he hasn't returned from his mission this morning."

"Oh, what has he done now."