Chapter 7) Coats and Hands.

When Hux awoke the next cycle, he lay in bed for a while. His head swirled with a variety of thoughts. Of course, Kylo Ren was at the front of his mind.

Hux and Ren had never got on, constant bickering and challenging each other to be Supreme Leader Snoke's favourite. On many occasions, Hux would be sent flying across a room or Ren would receive a long lecture on his childish behaviour. The two seemed to have a mutual disliking for one another. But that had changed recently, the two slowly getting along and not breaking into an argument every time they spoke to one another. It was almost a nice feeling.

Hux tried to push his thoughts away from Ren, trying to make his body get up and move so he could ready himself for the day- but he couldn't. His thoughts lingered on Ren and his face specifically. Hux thought about all the ways his features changed depending on his mood.

For instance, when Ren would be confused, his brows came together as he noticeably chewed on the inside of his cheek while trying to figure something out. Or, when he was happy, he'd relax his features and the shape of his eyes turned into that of a happy expression but his lips would never bear a smile.

The General also thought on Ren's hair. Its unique colour and shape. The way Ren would run his fingers through it as he laid there at night, clearly thinking deeply upon a subject. But the ginger also suddenly desired to run his finger through his locks of hair. Then he thought about how he held the other's face and how he worried for the other when holding him in his arms.

Hux suddenly sat up, his cheeks heating up slightly as he realised what he had been thinking. Flustered, he got out of his bed, rushed to his wardrobe to change. Moments later, he came out of his bathroom and went to grab his Great Coat to realise it was absent from its hook.

"Ren." For some reason, the ginger began to feel anger boil within him as he marched out from his quarters and in search of the raven-haired man. "Where is Kylo Ren?" Hux barked at one of his staff he saw walking towards him from leaving The Bridge.

"On the bridge, General," she said confused but the sound of worry underlined her words, pointing back to the metal door.

Hux marched into the room, no usual coat floating behind him, as the room quieted down slightly as they feared a reenactment of yesterday.

There he stood, up by the large window talking to Lieutenant Mitaka who was awkwardly explaining something from his datapad. Mitaka had picked up on the hushed tones and realised that Hux must have entered due to his head snapping towards himself. Ren watched the Lieutenant move away quickly and looked in the direction of all the fuss.

Ren stood with his arms crossed, Hux's Great Coat hovering on his shoulders as he wore his new uniform beneath it. He bared no mask, revealing his healing scar across his face. He looked tired, his dark hair was slightly messy as his bandaged hand was now raised to rake through it.

Hux felt himself being lost in the imaginary show Ren was putting on. He was at war with himself on whether he liked it or not.

"Lord Ren," the General finally spoke, continuing his large strides over towards the male; he now stood in front of him, trying his hardest to seem angered. "You currently possess an item of mine."

"Oh, yes. Here you go, General." Kylo sounded softer in his words, slipping the heavy coat from his shoulders and handing it over to the older man. If the two weren't so busy staring at each other, they would have noticed that all eyes were on them as chattering was to a minimum on the rare event they were witnessing.

"Um, yes. Now then," Hux replied, gaining some composure as he broke eye contact first as he pulled his jacket onto his shoulders. Pulling his gloves on tighter. "I spoke with the Supreme Leader and he's stationed you here for further training. He wishes you to recover fully while your knights try to find the scavenger girl or the map."

Kylo lost the softness he had, his eyes sharpening as he took in Hux's words. Ren didn't enjoy the fact he was no longer allowed to venture out for the pieces of the map and had to be stuck doing something as minuscule as training. The darker haired man balled his hands in fists, causing his wounded hand to sting in pain.

"Your knights will be arriving on the ship later this cycle, expecting a briefing on how to find the map. Snoke also wishes to see you after you finish that." General Hux finished tugging on his gloves, making eye contact once more to see how mad Ren truly was. Ren had opened his mouth, presumably to shout at him or change his mind and throw him across a room, so he spoke first, "but I too would like to see you. In my office, around an hour after you meet with Snoke. If you can't make it, send a message on the coms but if not, I expect you there."

Kylo Ren softened slightly, his brows coming apart to give a slow nod before walking out of the bridge. Hux breathed. But he also realised how quiet it was and turned to look at his staff; all of which quickly turned away and the noise rose once more.

"Good grief," Hux mumbled, walking over to Lieutenant Mitaka to see how the night shift had gone on.

Kylo Ren's day had been long and eventful. He had to scramble together as much information as he could and explain it to his knights before making his way to a lecture from Supreme Leader Snoke. Although, meeting with his knights weren't all bad, they had after all grown close in some aspects.

Ren had been standing in his quarters, watching the last of the repair crew finishing up his room and giving him a displeased glare before leaving. His room was back to normal. He placed himself on the edge of his bed and dwelled on his thoughts of the General.

Of course, the General wasn't the only one having second thoughts on their mutual hate for one another.

Soon enough, Ren had to leave his room and meet Hux in his office. Kylo made his way through the ship, locating the room and walking in when the metal door hissed open. Ren turned to see Hux behind his desk, head in hand as he scribbled on pieces of paper.

"General Hux."

"Oh, my kriff-" Hux was startled, not even realising the other had entered, dropping his pen and looking up to see Ren by the door. He composed himself quickly and walked around his desk, leaning back on it. "Well come closer."

Ren was slightly confused since he had no idea why he was called here in the first place and why Hux was acting out of character. "You needed me, General?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow to the ginger as the other began to play with their gloved hands. The General's peculiar habit had been picked up on rather quickly by The Knight of Ren.

"Yes," Hux began, slowly reaching out and taking hold of Ren's wrist. Ren tensed, looking down at Hux with a small glare but with also curiosity. "I wanted to check on your wound." Hux lowed his gaze down to the ruined bandage, unravelling it slowly and dropping it onto his desk. Hux's gloved fingers slowly brushed over Ren's skin, over to the cut to inspect how it was healing. Not well.

"One moment," Hux spoke, getting up from his leaning position and walking to the back of his desk to rummage around in his draws. Coming back around, he held a length of bandage and began to wrap his hand carefully. When he was done, he lingered on the sensation of Kylo's hand in his own before letting it go.

There was a long silence, both parties feeling somewhat of a need to speak.

"I also wanted to check up on you."

Ren was taken aback, shock displayed on his face as Hux took a shaky breath. Slowly, he raised his hand to Ren's face and cupped his left cheek. The raven tensed, before slightly relaxing into the gloved hand.

"You gave me a scare that night. Twice in fact. I thought I was going to lose you." It was unexpected, unplanned, how quiet and meaningful Hux's words came out to be. He noticed how Ren's eyes widened and he began to revoke his hand, regretting his confession instantly. But, his hand was stopped when a bare one pulled it back to his face.

The ginger froze as Ren reached out and cupped his cheek. Suddenly, Hux was filled with what can only be explained as extreme fear of loss, at the contact from Ren's hand.

"So did I."

.•°○°•.•°✩°•.•°○°•.

Words: 1,535