Chapter Nine

Austin carried me out to the center of the stage where there was a stool, and I gripped onto the seat as I realized the seat spins around. I tried to ignore the huge crowd in front of us and tried to instead focus on not embarrassing myself any further.

"What are you going to do? Spin me around in circles on this stool because I can't dance now?" I raised my eyebrows. The last thing I need is to fall off a spinning stool. 

"Maybe just a little bit," He chuckled, "but don't worry, I won't spin you too much."

I let out a nervous laugh as he handed me a microphone and took the other one to address the audience.

"Good morning everyone. How's everyone doing?"

The crowd cheered in response so Austin continued. "So, we had a little mishap backstage, and now my lovely partner can't dance due to an injured ankle. Bear with us, please, as we still try to give you guys the best performance we can."

Austin nodded to someone off stage, and the music began playing to the song we had rehearsed for weeks. I looked to Austin for reassurance as I turned my microphone on and he smiled, reaching out for my hand.

I nervously gave him my hand and he looked out to the crowd as he began serenading them with the love song we had been rehearsing. I almost missed my part because I was sucked in by how passionate he was performing. He spun me around on the stool as he lowered his microphone letting me take it away. 

I shifted my focus on him instead of the crowd so I could push down my nerves, but then my dream from the other day came back in my head. This was starting to feel very familiar. I continued singing my part, but couldn't help the thoughts that were running through my head.

If Austin cares about me like he says he does, then why was he kissing Cassidy literally five minutes ago? And even if that was just a misunderstanding, where do we even go from here? I really like Nick. He's actually good for me, and he didn't hesitate when it came to sharing how he felt about me. I've barely just moved here, and it's frustrating that I'm already stuck in some sort of love triangle with two different guys that both like me.

I wanted to shrink away. Here I was performing on stage, but I couldn't focus because there was too much going on in my head. Austin seemed to notice when our song came to the part where we sing together, and he took my chin in his hand, tilting my head up to focus on him. I almost forgot the lyrics.

We finished the song and the host of the competition walked out and greeted us.

"Wow,  that was a captivating performance," the lady smiled at us then out to the crowd. "What a charming couple, am I right?"

I felt Austin's eyes on me, but instead of returning his gaze I looked over the crowd and took in the cheering. My eyes landed on Cassidy in the front row and saw a look of annoyance on her face directed towards me.

"Okay next up, we have.."

Austin helped me off of the stool and wrapped his arm around my waist as we tried to hurry off the stage for the next act to go on. My breathing hitched when he swept me off my feet once again to carry me back down the stairs. He did it with such ease, that I couldn't help but glance at the muscles that were flexing right underneath his rolled up sleeves. Once we reached the bottom of the steps, he didn't move to put me down, so I awkwardly stayed there with my arms wrapped around his neck.

"You were amazing out there," He said as he looked down at me. A tiny smile formed on my lips because I knew he was the one that did all the work while I was stuck on a stool.

I pushed the smile down as I climbed down from his arms, once again using the railing of the stairs to balance myself.

"Thank you, Austin. You really didn't have to carry me up there."