Chapter Seven

"You have a date tonight? With this absolute hottie?!" Isabella asked as she Instagram stalked Nick while I drove us back to my dad's house. "It's not a date. It's just dinner... He is pretty hot, though, isn't he?" I asked, a small smile forming on my lips as I started to blush a little. Isabella wiggled her eyebrows at me before showing me a picture of Nick playing basketball shirtless. "Very hot." She giggled and locked her phone, setting it in her lap. "If it isn't a date.." she trailed off as she took in my appearance, " then why are you all dressed up?" I focused my eyes on the road, "Well I'm not going to dress up in sweats and a hoodie." She shrugged, "Whatever you say.."

I dropped Isabella off at my dad's house and quickly showed her around before heading to work. It was a slow day, though, I was dreading my lunch break. Austin said he wanted to talk and I just wasn't feeling up to it. As if he knew I was thinking about him, he walked into the store and beelined to me. "Hey, is it your lunch break yet?" he asked as he leaned against the counter. I just nodded in response and grabbed my purse. "Can we talk then?" he asked hesitantly as he watched me. "Yeah, I'm just going to grab some food first. You're welcome to tag along." I forced a smile on my face when he motioned for me to lead the way. I couldn't help but feel hurt since he decided to do the duet we've been working on with someone else, and it makes it hard for me to be around Austin in my usual happy and friendly mood.

I grabbed a sandwich from the food court and sat at a table outside with Austin. "You look beautiful today. Got any special plans later?" Austin asks with a nervous smile as he looked away from me. "It doesn't matter. What do you want Austin?" I asked as I picked up my sandwich, not really into small talk at the moment. "Okay, sorry. I know you're upset about the competition, but I really didn't have a choice. Believe me when I say that I wish I could do it with you." He took my hand in his to get me to look up at him. "Please forgive me, Hailey. I promise I'll make it up to you." I looked into his eyes, a frown forming on my lips. "I don't know, Austin.." He was about to say something when I heard my name being called. "Hailey!" I pulled my hand away from Austin to see Nick walking towards us.

"Hey, Nick," I smiled as I turned towards him. "God you look great. Is that what you're wearing tonight? I'll have to step it up a bit," he chuckled as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "You're going out with him tonight?" Austin asked, glaring towards Nick. I nodded, "Yeah we were planning on getting dinner later." "Hi, Austin," Nick said, clearly a little uncomfortable. He turned to me and smiled again, "Well, I'll leave you guys alone. I have to meet a friend at one of the stores. I'll see you later, though." I smiled and mumbled a quick goodbye, watching him walk off. I turned back when I remembered Austin was sitting across from me and cleared my throat. "I forgive you. It's not that big of a deal, I guess. Have fun performing with Cassidy. Really. I'm gonna go back to work and finish my sandwich there." I gathered my things, including my sandwich, and stood from the table. "I'll see you later." "Hailey, wait." Austin reached for my hand but I pulled it out of reach and walked away. I needed to focus on something other than Austin and the music competition.

Work went by faster now that I wasn't dreading the talk with Austin. I was signing out of work when I got a text from Isabella.

  Isabella: Have fun on your date!! Hope it goes well.(;

I rolled my eyes and was going to text her to tell her it wasn't a date when I saw Nick walk into the store. "Hey are you ready for dinner?" My eyes drifted down his body to see that he changed out of the t-shirt and shorts he was wearing earlier and into a nice button up long sleeve and some pants. My heart fluttered at the sight until I realized he was staring at me, waiting for me to respond. "Um," I cleared my throat, "yes, I'm ready to go. Just give me one quick minute." I calmly walked over to the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I stared at the image in the mirror before pulling out my phone and texting Isabella.