CHAPTER 5: INK

"I'm sorry, it's not-----"
"I'm sorry Ma'am, but were closing the roof top door now. So please go back to your room."
It annoyed her that the guy had been having a wrong idea just because he won't let her talk. She then looked at Alex and was really sure that he's enjoying it. She sighed and picked up her bag and put the empty bottle in it.
"Sorry, were leaving."
And with that she went to the rooftop door with Alex behind her. They continued walking until they got to the fire exit. When she was about to open the door, she whirled around to tell him, "Sorry, but are you following me?"
He gave a fake surprised look and said " I believe were going the same direction, lady". She didn't say anymore and she kept on walking until the front door of the hotel. When she glanced behind her, he was no longer there. Maybe he went back to the party. She walked out to the streets in a pouring rain. She didn't hear it since she was inside the hotel. Crap. She didn't have an umbrella. It was already late and was thinking about booking a room for thr night, but remembered how fancy and expensive that hotel was, so she decided that shed just go home. She was about to run in the rain, when a car stopped in front of her l, splashing some rain water on her legs. The window of the car went down and a familiar face peaked out. "Get in!" He shouted and smiled at her. Shed be annoyed if he was not giving her help, but then she thought taht she should just take up the offer.
--------------------­-- * --------------------­---
"I'm sorry for the trouble."
"Don't mind it. Just think of it as a payment for the drink.....so where do you live?"
"Just drop me by the station."
"At this hour and this weather? I don't think you will get home by morning."
He's right. And she bet he wouldn't let her go off right now, judging by this guy's character. So she just told him her address. At least she had a sharp ballpen and a bottle if he tried to do anything bad.
"So what do you do now?" He asked.
"Interior design."
"Really?" He looked at her wide eyed.
"Eyes on the road please."
"Why didn't you tell me earlier? I didn't know I was talking with someone big here!"
"Not as big as you think."
"Still though." He said smiling widely as if he's her father.
"How bout you?" She asked back, trying to change the topic.
"Well, just some programming shit. Not really anything special."
He slowed down at the traffic light. The rain was still pouring outside but there are still many people on the road. For a minute, they were silent. Not that it bothered her. She loved quiet.
She looked around his car, it was surprisingly neat aside from empty bottles on the windshield. And then she finally noticed the stack of CDs below her. She squinted her eyes trying to read. She had her contacts on but it was quiet dark to see them. She leaned her head forward a little bit to see the CDs until a hand reached for them and held it out to her.
"Here." He said giving the CDs to her. "Pick one and I'll play it." Not that she wanted to play one but she still took it out from his hands, maybe out of curiosity. There were albums of different genres from different decades. She looked up at the titles, some were familiar, some are not. Either way, they all sounded good.
"Well, have you picked one?" He asked.
"Uhhmm, not yet."
"Not yet? You have been looking at them for sometime now, you know?" For some reason she felt annoyed.
"Pick one for yourself then."
"Now don't frown okay?" He said smiling as he picked a CD from her hand. It was so swift she thought he just picked randomly.
"I think this should do." He opened the cover and took the CD out and then he put it on the car radio. Then he pushed the play button.
She was familiar with the music.
"Ghost stories huh?" She said the album's title.
"Yep. Coldpaly for a cold day."
Sounds like a pun. She thought.

'Got a tattoo that said together thru life.
Carved in your name with my pocket knife.'

Coldpaly for a cold day indeed. If she was in another place, she would have lulled her self to sleep, but instead, she looked at him at the corner of her eyes. And for some reason, she felt like sitting with another man. Someone she didn't knew. His eyes were clouded with loneliness so heavy, she can't breathe.

'And I wonder when you wake up, will it be alright, feels like there's something broken inside.'

She thought of saying something, but felt that it would be like intruding, so she just kept to herself until they got to her home.
--------------------­--- * --------------------­---
The music stopped just when he parked outside her apartment. The album only played the first song since they put it on pretty late. But the last line was still ringing on her head.
"So this is where you live, huh?" He said smiling like he's the same 'Alex' again. Somethinv that creeped her out a little.
"Thank you for the ride. I'll be taking off here."
"Wait I----
But she was already getting out of the car before he finished his sentence. She felt him running after her, so she picked up her pace. Just what does he want from her? When they were about to reach her floor, she turned around to face him. He almost bumped into her when she stopped.
"Oh, sorry" he said, panting from running.
"I think were even now. Thanks for the ride."
"Did I creeped you out?" He asked as if he were reading her mind again.
She didnt answer because she knows they both know its true.
"So, it is true." He said with a sad chuckle. She felt a twinge inside her. Maybe she felt guilty for it.
"I really am sorry for that." He said, eyes down. "But I just wanted to thank you for tonight ."
Again, somehow, she felt she was in front of a diffent guy. Someone more fragile this time, she thought.
"See you later then, sometime." He smiled a small one, and then stated walking away. And then she remembered again, the last line of the song from the album.

' All I know, is that I love you so,
So much that it hurts.

"Wait." She said.
He stopped and turned to her with a slightly surprised face.
"Let's fix that first. Your bruise."