Be Our Guest

After getting Ryan moved into his room and sending him off to track down his roommate, Conor Farmer, at Wittenberg, Sean, Meredith, Marc, and Paul walked over to Siebert for lunch. As they went past the various food stations, Erin and Alyssa popped in behind them. The six of them got a table and were later joined by Katelyn, Matt Benning, Jamie, and Laura Capshaw.

Marc: Meredith, you may be wondering why I have invited so many people to join you, I, and Sean for lunch?

Meredith: I AM a bit suspicious as to what you and my husband have drummed up.

Paul: Did Sean tell you Marc and I talked with him on Friday following the Board of Trustees meeting about Synod Assembly?

Meredith: Yes, and that the two of you would like to draft me to run for Vice President. That still doesn't explain the rest of the table.

Marc: Then let me introduce them to you, starting from your right. We have Deacon Laura Capshaw, who is working with our synod and the Metro Chicago one on the development of Illinois Lutheran University, which will open next Fall. Next to her are Katelyn Rollins, Deacon Jamie Krueger, Alyssa Norman, and Matt Benning. You know Paul already. On my right is Erin Matheson. The four students and Deacon Krueger are Trinity's delegation for Synod Assembly.

Meredith: Nice to meet all of you.

Erin: The pleasure is ours as well.

Meredith: So let's get to why you've orchestrated this ambush, Marc. Why do you and Paul want me to run for VP?

Paul: I guess it falls to me to explain our train of thought and how you came to mind as a possible candidate. The past year or so has seen a fair bit of conflict within the synod and a pulling and jerking from several corners for control of its future direction. As the VP election always precedes the one for Bishop, it is the place where that direction can be set heading into the following two years before choosing a Bishop. Because of the conflict, I am expecting WELCA to put up a candidate, possibly their president, in an attempt to halt the progressive slant I and others in the synod have taken on women in the church, one which a candidate such as yourself would perceivably support and help to continue. After Marc turned down my request to run himself, I asked for suggestions and he brought your name up, along with your background and how he knew of you.

Marc: We both really want to see a woman break through this glass ceiling in the synod and turn away from electing the standard "next man up" that has traditionally filled the role, someone who has checked the right boxes at the congregational level and has enough "experience" to have earned the post.

Meredith: You've given your perspectives on the matter, gentlemen. Now I ask the women at the table, how would a possible candidacy by myself be beneficial to you as future leaders in the church?

Alyssa: As an already-rostered leader, seeing the professional side of women's work within the church represented in our synod's executive council would be a boost to those who want to be active without having it tied to marriage or kids or circles as is typically the case. I know my mom was looped into that kind of participation and didn't see a way for herself to outgrow it, thus she began hoping for a future where I could seek the pulpit and my sisters could be involved alongside their chosen careers instead of aside from them.

Erin: My future in the church, as well as that of my girlfriend, is not aligned with being a Minister of Word and Sacrament like Alyssa and perhaps Katelyn, but by a merger of theological training with a profession in the outside world to, as Marc says repeatedly, "be light in the dark places". Having role models and mentors holding real power and decision-making authority in the synod would be a reinforcement of my path being a respectable means of service to the church.

Katelyn: I am at a bit of a fork when it comes to which ELCA roster to pursue, as I love the potential good I can do as a counselor or therapist but also am considering following in my dad's footsteps as a pastor. Again, to echo my two sisters at the table, having a person among the synod's elite who can speak for us and address the continued hurdles we as women face in seeking out vocation in addition to occupation is critical if the course Bishop Emerson and Deacon Schmidt have navigated us at Trinity through since its founding is to be continued.

Sean: You heard me give my opinion over the weekend when I brought up my conversation with Paul and Marc. Ryan's going to be gone eight months of the year, even though he'll only be 10-15 minutes away from home. Now is YOUR time to do something for yourself and for the church community you hold so dear.

Meredith thought through all the arguments made in encouragement before speaking to them.

Meredith: Let's say I DO accept your nomination of me for the position. How do I know this won't end up dividing the women's vote and rubber-stamp another six years of the menfolk holding this important post?

Paul: Because you have at your disposal a certified, or should I say certifiable, madman genius when it comes to politics within the church, and I am sure he has already concocted a way to get you elected on September 13th. Am I right, Marc?

Marc: Haven't discussed any of this with others who will be important deputies in getting to the 50% plus one number, but I have a couple of plausible pathways to pursue. Today is about getting the go-ahead from Meredith. We can discuss actual winning strategies next week or the week after.

Jamie: Please consider it. When Marc and I did the Bishop's Roundtable from your church several weeks ago, the three of us talked afterward with Peter Wilkins, the council president, about our desire to have you be Synod VP. He gave a glowing recommendation of your skills and what assistance you've provided them in your areas of expertise.

Meredith: I provisionally accept your nomination, but I want to see an actual plan for victory before we get to the floor.

Marc: Fair, and I'll hopefully be able to generate a few scenarios by the end of next week.

Erin: I guess us students need to get back to our residence hall assignments.

Marc: Yep. Remember, 2:30 at Bonhoeffer if you're involved in today's service.

Alyssa: Don't worry, Marc. I'll make sure everyone is there who needs to be.

The lunch gathering broke up, with the group spreading out around campus to either help with afternoon move-ins (Alyssa, Katelyn, Erin, Matt, Laura, and Paul), prepare for Opening Service (Marc), or get some tasks handled ahead of tonight's team meetings (Jamie).