Epilogue

-Ian-

"I'll tell you later." Lewis said looking a bit guilty before closing the door as I yelled out, "Lewis no!"

That was the last thing we said to each other before I never saw him again. The building collapsed and everything seemed to have happened quickly. When the smoke cleared and the fire was completely put out, the rescuers instantly searched for survivors. They found none. Lewis and Jeff were buried under piles of the fallen building, and there was no way they could've survived. They both died on impact as pieces of wood were on top of them, and there was a large sharp piece of wood that pierced into Lewis's lower domain. Burks arrived with help after everything went down. Burks couldn't believe what happened and was angry when she realized she was far too late.

The police took Jessica and Aaron away for everything they've done, while Jeffs and Lewis's body was put into body bags. While they were putting Lewis's body in the bag they found a small vial of something in his pocket. We have no idea how it didn't break, but it only came out with a crack. The rescuer that found it gave it to me thinking it belonged to my brother. I never saw it before and I didn't realize that Lewis had this strange-looking vial on him. It's a dark bronze color and it's the size of my pointer finger. I have no idea what this is supposed to be or why my brother would have this.

When the mayor saw the vial he asked where I got the vial from. I told him my brother had it on him which he replied that it belonged to him. I became confused as I didn't understand why my brother would have something that belonged to the mayor. Mara then asked her father what the vial is and why he had it. The mayor explained to us that it's the only one that he had and that it contains an elixir that will enhance anyone who consumes it. The mayor explained that it enhances your ability, or at least it was supposed to. He never got the chance to test it out as he had no volunteers, and then his daughter was kidnapped and from there it went downhill.

It's been three months since my brother died, and I still couldn't believe that he's really gone this time. I've been angry at him for so long that now that he's gone everything that I put him through haunts me. I regret everything I've done but I can't take it back now. I never went to jail as the mayor pardoned me for what I've done. I had to pay a fine though and do community service for a year. Which I found reasonable since I did do awful things, and I'm not going to jail so this is better than being behind bars.

The mayor held a ceremony for Lewis, claiming him as a hero for saving him and his daughter from Jeff and the others. The mayor made a nice speech and gave him a bronze plate with his name and what he did to earn it on the bronze plate. I wish he could see it. The mayor had it hung with the other heroes who had died, and I couldn't have been happy and prouder of my little brother. The mayor held a funeral for Lewis as well which was very pleasant. I hate that my brother died, but I'm just glad he made friends even if he meant to or not.

I still couldn't shake what he meant about debt to pay. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I couldn't rack my brain around it. I was worried that I'll never find out what he meant, but then one day something unexpected happened. I went out to check my mail and I saw a letter with no return address on it. I was confused but opened it and read what was inside.

Dear Ian,

I'm writing this to you because your someone I looked up to. I know you died in that fire, and you're angry and probably disappointed in me. I failed to save you and everyone. How is that fair? You all die and I survived, but I couldn't even save any of you. I shouldn't have lived. I don't deserve to live. I hate myself for failing and letting you all down, but I promise you guys this. I will repay my debt. I will save someone in honor of you guys. It's not much of a promise, but it's something that I need for myself. If I can't have this promise, if I can't keep this promise then what kind of person am I? I have to save someone and prove that I can save someone to repay my debt. I hope you all can forgive me. I know I've been mute for a while but I promise once I stop being mute, then I'll keep this promise. I will repay my debt.

Lewis