Chapter 6: My Royal Guard

Sebastian and I reentered my room. The tour was rather uneventful. I got to see the kitchen, servant quarters and even the throne room. I had a basic understanding of the layout of the palace. However, there was one place Sebastian insisted I should never enter. One very specific door to one of the palace's various basements. What could be down there? The palace already has one of everything. What was so important about that room in particular? Why am I not allowed in there as a member of the royal family? The possibilities were driving me insane. Maybe I should check out that room before I try making another one of my escapes.

"Is there anything else you need Princess?" Sebastian asked flatly.

"No I don't need anything else. Also I told you to call me Callie." I replied.

"Very well. I will be waiting outside." Sebastian turned to leave but I grabbed his arm.

"Wait! Before you go I would like to get to know you first."

Even though I couldn't see his eyes, I could tell Sebastian was giving me a confused and possibly a worried look. This caught me off guard. It was the first time I've seen him show any emotions. He put his shades on top of his head. "Alright Princess. Anything you want to know. Just ask."

"First off I asked you to stop calling me Princess. Why do you keep calling me that?" I was starting to get annoyed.

"That's your title isn't it? A good royal guard would remember his place and always address his superiors by their title." Sebastian answered.

"You don't have to do that around me. I would rather people just say my first name." I replied.

"But Princess. I should not break protocol. It would be improper." Sebastian argued.

"Don't call me Princess. Call me Callie." I ordered.

"Yes Prin- I... I mean Callie." He quickly corrected himself. I giggled, he was kind of cute when he wasn't being so formal.

I put my shades on my nightstand and sat at the edge of my bed. "I have another question for you. I'd like to know. What were you doing before you became my personal guard?" I asked him.

Sebastian remained standing but started to speak more softly. "I was always a soldier since the day I was born. You see, I never got to know my father but I do know he was a nobleman, because of that I was also considered a nobleman. Unfortunately my mother died shortly after I was born and I was sent to be raised by the military because of my noble birth. The Octarian army is all I've ever known."

I started to weep for him. That was the saddest story I've ever heard.

"Are you okay Callie?" He looked concerned.

I quickly jumped off my bed and hugged him. He seemed surprised at first. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to push me away or embrace me. Eventually, he decided to wrap his arms around me and hold me tight. It was comforting.

He reassured me. "It's okay Callie. If you must know. I consider myself extremely lucky. If none of this happened, I would've never had the opportunity to meet you."

Eventually, I was able to compose myself and ask. "How did you end up becoming my personal guard?"

He continued to hold onto me. "My last team never really liked me. You see, most people in the military came from influential families. Since I was the last of my family, that meant I didn't have anyone to help me with my military career. A few days ago there was a fight in our barracks. Some of my former teammates tried to jump me. Because of that incident I was arrested."

I looked up at him. "Wait, why did you get arrested? They attacked you!"

"Let's just say their families were too powerful. So they accuse me of anything. My friends ended up turning their backs on me so I just had to accept whatever punishments the court decided. Since I was one of the best soldiers around, your father the Shogun decided to show mercy. He pardoned me and gave me a new assignment. That was to protect you." he finished.

"I'm glad it all worked out in the end." I told him.

Sebastian smiled. "We can talk more about this stuff later if you want. I can tell you a lot more interesting stories."

I nodded and let go of him. "You told me so much about yourself. Is there anything you want to ask me?"

Sebastian released me and went to the window. "I do have one question for you, Callie. When I was told I would become your guard. I was given a list of protocols to follow in your presence. I must address you by your title. I am not allowed to touch you, even if it's an emergency. I must never look you in the eyes. These are some of the rules I was given. However, it seems you want me to break them. This puts me at an impasse. So I want to know, why do you want me to break protocol?" Sebastian asked.

"Concerning my title as Princess. I just can't get used to people calling me. It feels weird whenever I hear it. As for the other protocols. They make you look like a robot and it creeps me out whenever I see you acting like that. Please stop." I answered.

"Callie, if I am caught breaking these protocols I could get arrested, or worse!" Sebastian was agitated. What would they do to him? Maybe it would be better if I didn't know.

"I am the Princess. I will protect you if it comes to that." I reassured him.

He started to calm down. "Thank you Callie. I appreciate that. Now, is there anything else you need?" Sebastian asked.

I thought for a while. "No I think that's it." I answered.

Sebastian looked out the window. It was dark outside. "You should get some sleep. I will be outside. Good night Callie!"

"Good night Sebastian!" I replied.

Sebastian put his shades over his eyes and walked towards the door smiling. Then he suddenly stopped right before reaching the door. "One last thing. The Shogun wants to talk with you in the throne room tomorrow. He wants to tell you about your past." Then he walked out the door and closed it behind him.

I was getting excited. I still don't remember much but maybe hearing about my past would help. My other plans can wait. There was no way I was going to miss this. I quickly got myself ready for bed and jumped onto it. I want to wake up early for this.